Interlude I

TALITHA KOUM

INTERLUDE I

.

Tommy slid down the banister and landed with a crash onto the floor.

“Thomas!” shouted a voice from the kitchen.

Tommy ran into the kitchen. He jumped into a chair. He knocked it off balance and almost fell, but he stuck his foot out and righted himself at the last second. Throwing his books onto the chair beside him, he bumped the table in the process, enough to wobble the glass of orange juice sitting on top so a dab spilled over.

“Thomas! How many times do I have to tell you that you can’t slide down the banister like that?”

“Mom…”

“It’s dangerous…”

“Sorry, Mom.”

Mrs. Cole brought over a plate of scrambled eggs to the table.

Tommy dug in right away.

“What am I going to do with you?” She smiled and shook her head. “One of these days, you’re going to smash into the wall and knock yourself senseless.”

“It’s all right, Mom. I know what I’m doing.” Tommy finished his eggs. He eyed the bowl sitting off to one side in front of him. “Mom, do I have to finish all of my cereal today?”

“Yes, honey, you do. It’s good for your digestion.”

“But I’m full.”

“No, you’re not. I know when you’re full.”

Mrs. Cole finished packing her son’s lunch. She brought it over to the kitchen table. The morning was fresh and smelled exactly like September.

“Here’s your lunch, dear. Remember to eat everything I packed today.”

“Yes, Mama.”

She set herself down next to him. She watched him as he ate his cereal. Picking up the cereal box, she inspected the label on it. Sugar, sugar, sugar. She shook her head.

Glistening through the curtains, the sun dropped her purse and spilled golden coins all over the kitchen floor. In the background, some radio announcer was saying how traffic was running slow on the major routes today. She eased her fingers through her son’s locks, smoothing them back from his cheek. “Did you comb your hair this morning?”

“Of course I did, Mom.”

Tommy didn’t comb his hair that morning. He forgot to brush his teeth too. “Can I go over to Billy’s house after school today?” He didn’t meet her eyes. “He’s gotta help me get my go-cart done for this Saturday.”

“I thought we talked about that before.” She straightened up in her chair. “Thomas, you know I think that’s dangerous. You could get hurt. Don’t you remember the last time?”

“It’s okay, Mom! We’re not going down the same hill this time.”

“No, I’m sure you’re not. Knowing you, you’ve probably found a much steeper one.”

“No, Mom! It’s really safe!” He turned to her and his chair squeaked. “When are you going to start trusting me a little? I know what I’m doing. Just relax a bit, will you?”

She gazed into the eyes of her son. Her only son. The only man in the house. There was a drop of milk on his cheek. She wiped it off for him.

“Thomas, I just don’t like it when you play so recklessly. You won’t even consider doing something unless it’s outright dangerous. Why can’t you be interested in basketball or some other indoor sport?”