Piglet

CHAPTER 2
Las Vegas, 1950

         Before delving into Violet's current journey, let's take a moment to revisit her past. John Davis, one of the greatest chess players in history, had not always loved the game. Despite his dislike, he triumphed over the Soviets in the early 1900s, crushing any challengers who dared to face him. Contrary to his unpleasant brother, John's successes exceeded all expectations, propelling him into the limelight, shining brighter than his peers. His daughter, Violet, shared a similar path, but she held a stark contrast – she adored every match, finding chess captivating, intriguing, and even beautiful from the very start. She inherited her father's talent, quickly becoming a formidable player at a young age, and perhaps even surpassing him. Violet's journey to greatness was paved not just with skill and hard work, but also with love and passion for the game. However, her mother, Martha Davis, later discovered that she could capitalize on Violet's success, and the pursuit of fortune and reputation led to a downward spiral that left both mother and daughter in turmoil.

     Martha seemed to have it all — a devoted husband, a dutiful child, and enough money to indulge in shopping at least once a month. Yet, she yearned for more, like many women in their forties back then. Lacking any particular skills, Martha was nonetheless clever enough to ensnare a man. When Violet turned thirteen, her mother went above and beyond to sign her up for every single chess tournament across the country, much to John's dismay. He recognized the potential for growth and practice, but to Martha, it mattered little. She craved more money and a good reputation.

     But what about Violet? While her parents may have been hard on her, what about the child who shattered into a million pieces that she still collects off the ground? What happened to her during all those years, and what happened to her family? Violet had always been like a photograph – once taken, unchanging and immutable. She had the same look, attitude, and words, born and raised in a way that defied description. Her feelings remained hidden from the world, and she couldn't even fathom them herself. She would gaze into the mirror and see a lost woman whose soul had been stolen by her trauma. Violet never connected with other children or behaved like a typical kid. She was just Violet – the town's top chess player, former ballerina, and piano enthusiast.

     By the time she turned seventeen, her family had almost fallen apart. Her father, John, committed suicide, her mother teetered on the edge of the abyss, and Violet couldn't shed a tear. Why? Because nobody had ever taught her how to do that. She had a lesson for everything that existed on the planet, but sadness, grief, and joy were all locked away with no keyhole, beyond her comprehension.

     Las Vegas had always been Martha's favorite vacation spot, and she often expressed her wish to pursue a career as an actress. Perhaps she regretted not marrying Paul Newman and choosing a chess master instead.

     Violet hadn't stayed in a hotel room in decades, but this one seemed to suit her. The view was breathtaking, the bed spacious, and she even had a chess set to occupy herself before and after the games. She took a few steps back and looked around. The room felt peculiarly familiar, yet something was off, and she couldn't quite pinpoint it.

     As she turned her gaze from the window back to the door, a loud knock interrupted her thoughts. She assumed her companion was nearby. The idea made her frown; after all, she was an adult capable of finding her way around, despite her condition. She didn't need assistance. Everyone saw disorders as deadly diseases, but in her opinion, bipolarity was far from that. She had grown to live with it and never complained. The event directors and the chess union thought it best for those with such conditions to be accompanied, especially if they lacked relatives to join them. However, Violet had herself under control. Bipolarity wasn't just about attitude changes.