Prolouge

A breeze chilled the air as one cat passed through a moonlit forest. Its fur shifted in the breeze as it padded silently, glancing up at the moon every so often to make sure he was going on the right path.

He continued on, passing a squirrel who was hiding behind a tree. The tom didn't bother stopping to catch it. Prey was plentiful, and he had somewhere to be. It was an important meeting, something he wouldn't miss.

The stars led his paws on crushed leaves but finally, he reached a clearing full of stars. A pool in the center reflected the night sky. Three cats were already seated around it, as if they had been waiting for him the whole time.

"Gale," one cat meowed. Her brown and white pelt shone in the moonlight. "You're late." The tom cat, Gale, shook out his pelt and came to take a seat beside the others.

"Sorry," he meowed. "I was busy."

"Well you're here now," another murmured. His fur was tabby colored with ginger and white markings, and green eyes shone in the moonlight. The last cat, with a pelt as black as night, nodded.

"This meeting is special, as you know," the brown and white she-cat began. "We are here to discuss the path of four special young cats. Their destinies are entwined together."

"You always know what's best, Dawnwhisker," the black tom meowed.

"Let Night, Twilight, Dew, and Storm come together," Dawnwhisker declared. "If the two clans are ever going to live in peace, they must stay side by side. Two brothers. Two sisters."

The cats around her cheered, "Night! Twilight! Dew! Storm!" as if they were calling out the name of a new warrior. But the ginger and white tom's gaze faltered.

"What is it, Stemfire?" she asked. "You seem troubled." Stemfire twitched one ear.

"How will we get the message to them?" he asked quietly. Dawnwhisker nodded, acknowledging his question.

"It is clear. Two of them will fall in love, but the other two will need a gentle push to help them along. We will send them that message," she bellowed. "And let the prophecy ring in their ears. 'Bring a storm that comes from out of lands reach, and the dew from a single leaf. Twilight is born at the break of darkness, but night follows in her footsteps.'"

The three other cats yowled the message to the stars. It was set in stone. The four cats' destinies were now laid within the stars.