Chapter 1: Enter the Darkness

Footsteps were heard running across gravel; Heavy in sound but still rather quick as a man charged forward. He let out a huff and then jumped up into the air and with one hand, slammed a large brown sword against a towering black figure. A two-legged beast easily over the size of a two story building. The creature made out a loud hurtling cry and stumbled back, cradling it's injured arm. The man fell back to his feet, giving a slightly satisfying nod to himself for hitting his mark. He shifted his weight, readying his blade for another attack as a flash of blue light fluttered past him, reflecting against the glass of his visor. He looked over to the cause of this magic, one of his best friends. She just lowered her hand that held the handle of a thinner blue keyblade and kept it at her side.

"Keep your eyes sharp," She said, her voice loud and clear even with the helmet that concealed her features. "we're not done yet," she stretched out her fingers around the handle of her blade, giving them momentary relief. As she did this the large dark blue beast fell onto its knees, shaking the ground from its weight and from the almost heart shaped hole in its chest came out orbs of darkness. They were dark purple in colour, with a small lighter purple light at its center. Overall they weren't too fast in movement but rather large in size. They came down towards the two of them and the woman called out.

"Terra watch out!"

Raising his much more bulky keyblade again, Terra blocked one of the balls, the force causing him to skid against the gravel. In his peripheral vision, he could see another coming his way and he shifted his weight, turning to face the new attack. Terra allowed it to collide against his sword and he whirled to counter hit it into the orb he had just blocked, almost like a baseball. The two orbs hit one another and then exploded, creating a rippling effect of winds that blew roughly on the brown rustic cape that hung on his shoulders.

"Thanks, Aqua," he spoke as the battlefield got momentarily quiet. Behind his helmet he smiled at her.

Aqua lowered her arm that she had raised to protect herself from the explosion. She was about to respond to him when the hand of the creature started to come towards her. She gasped and leapt back away in the nick of time, readying a counter spell when a blur of dull blue and green raced past her instead. A third figure headed towards the hand that still laid on the ground. At the last second the hand raised and many smaller bipedal creatures of pure black with beady yellow eyes appeared from the pool of darkness left behind.

"Ven!" Aqua called out in worry.

Ven stopped in his tracks when the playing field suddenly changed. He gripped tighter onto his backwards held keyblade then tossed it forward, hitting many of the shadow heartless that swarmed in front of him. Then, just like a boomerang, the keyblade returned to his hand where he immediately threw it around him. The keyblade went around in a circle, knocking shadows back all around then returned to its owner. It created a path clear enough for him to jump away. That momentary distraction gave the main enemy a chance to regroup itself and raise to its full height.

Curling its long fingers into some sort of fist, the creature slammed down towards the youngest and closest person of the armed trio. Ven tried to barrel-roll away but the very last second his foot was hit and he went rolling to the side of the raised ground. Off the ledge the ground suddenly dipped into a large abyss, with only yellow eyes seen into the depths. Falling down there was definitely not a good idea as the chance of survival was next to zero. The creature knew this and was slowly coming towards to attack but Terra interfered while Aqua raced over to her friend. She slid onto her knees once closer and helped Ven away from the edge and onto his hands and knees.

"Are you okay?" she asked, resting her hand on his back.

"Y-Yeah," Ven replied as his breathing steadied.