Unmasked

Monster, that's what you became if you took off the godforsaken mask. I looked out at the park from my balcony. My hand reached up and gently pressed into my soft cheek. The hard stiff smile on the mask to my right peered up at me. Fear flashed through my mind. A monster, that's what I was. I didn't feel different.

Suddenly my eyes flashed red and black. My vision became blurry. I couldn't see. I fell to the floor, my mask clattered next to me. It felt hot. I couldn't feel anything but heat. A fire burned me inside out. I couldn't breathe. I tried to scream out. Nothing. Nothing came out. Panic. Fear. Those feelings engulfed me as I tried and tried to scream out in fear.

An unfamiliar voice yelled out to me. My sight returned in a bright red and black flash. My body seemed to cool down. The name Tikki went through my head as I looked down at the mask in front of me. I reached out to grab the mask, but I didn't recognize the hand gripping the mask. It was a long spiny black arm. Though my fingers still existed, at the ends were sharp black nails. I picked up my mask, my reflection shined from behind it. I reached out to touch my face again. It was the same, but something was different. A smooth black and red dotted pattern framed the area around my eyes. I couldn't recognize myself. I knew that nothing big had changed with my appearance, the dark arm seemed to be a glove of some sort, though I couldn't take it off. I stood up and climbed down back into my room. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. My clothing had changed too. I seemingly flowy red and black dress along with the most delicate-looking heels. Behind my back, something fluttered. A pair of transparent fractured wings softly fluttered on my back. I felt lighter. A thought ripped through my head.

What would everyone think? Am I truly a monster now?

I looked at the mask. The image of a normal me flashed in my mind. A soft glowing waved over my body, and I looked normal. I placed the mask back on my face and took my time to head downstairs.

A red-spotted bug caught my attention. It stood outside of the bakery window resting on the head of a small black cat. A small piece of curiosity appeared in my mind. I wanted that. Something soft, pure, a love like that was what I longed for.

I headed over to the school, it felt different than usual. Like a heavier sense of hatred filled the open halls. I walked into my classroom to see a familiar face.

"You," she growled as I walked into the room. It was her. Alya Cesaire. Someone I spent so long with, someone who I used to hold most dear. "What are you doing here?" She asked as she walked towards me.

I flinched as she reached for my face. "I see you still have your mask on. I wish I could say the same for Nino."

She traced her finger with the smile of the mask. "You should have taken his place." She snapped her hand away and turned to converse with Rose and Juleka. I could feel their eyes piercing my body, slowly draining the blood from my skin.

Chloe placed her hands on my shoulders as she appeared behind me. "Marinette? Are you okay?"

I turned and let off a smile behind my mask, in a lighter voice I replied with a, "yes." She had never repaired her face after the incident. A large crack spanned across her porcelain looking mask. I knew she had the money and influence to fix it, but I don't think she wanted to. She didn't want to forget what happened.

Chloe grabbed my hand and dragged me to my usual seat. She took a seat next to me, replacing Alya in a sense. I could feel the hostility from the rest of the class as I cautiously sat down. Part of me felt guilty for what happened, but they weren't there. They didn't see what we saw. Chloe tightened the grip she had on my hand, in a crude effort to comfort me. Sabrina walked into the room, her eyes meeting Chloe's. A sense of shame filled her eye as she turned her attention to her feet and quickly rushed off.

With a sigh, I slumped down onto the desk. My "face" was obscured by my arms. Chloe let go of my hand and turned her phone on. I could still remember the feeling of what happened. I could still feel Nino in my arms.

Adrien looked at me, I saw the pity in his eyes. Quietly the rest of the class filed in, after each person I could feel the anger and hatred grow. Last to come into the room was our teacher. The ever-present smile that lined her mask was offset with the dark spiteful look in her eyes. Everyone had changed. No one was happy. The only thing I could feel was hate. Suddenly my vision became muted. I turned to Chloe and saw that she was red and black. Instinct came over me as I tackled her to the floor. At that instant, something burst into the room. Something like me, familiar. I peaked up from under the table, a familiar frame stood at the doorway.

"Nino!" Alya yelled out, the terror seeping into her voice. "Y-You shouldn't be here! You monster!" She began to throw things at her.

Nino glowed red and black, the same as Chloe was before. He turned to look at me.

I stood up to face him. "I won't let you hurt anyone. Not like they hurt you." He looked almost normal, all except his back, which had a large turtle shell to protect him.

He held out his hand towards me. Beckoning me to join him. I knew what to do. Stepping around the desk I walked towards him.

Alya began to scream out, "Marinette! Don't!" I turned to look at her for a brief moment. I knew she was genuinely concerned for me. But it was too late for that. I was always too late. The rest of the room cowered behind their desk. Chloe looked up to us from the floor on the left side of the desk row. The look in her eyes told me everything I needed to know. She was determined, confident, she knew that this would happen.