Chapter 6 (last part)

Oikawa Tooru died in his sleep at the age of twenty six, only two days short of his twenty seventh birthday. They didn’t expect it because despite two weeks composed of bad days , that one day, he was actually better.

But it didn’t matter. Because Iwaizumi was there with him. He held Oikawa’s hand as he slept, held him even when the doctors came and told him he was no more. He didn’t cry. He didn’t beg them to try again. Because that night when Oikawa was supposed to be unconscious, he felt him squeeze his hand twice.

It was his own way of saying I love you .

His funeral was simple, too. Everything was white and pure… just like how Oikawa wanted it to be. All of Oikawa’s friends and family attended. There were a lot of tears and nostalgic stories which made them laugh, then cry harder at tbe end.

Iwaizumi didn’t participate in any of those. He just stood beside the altar where Oikawa’s photo and urn was. He was looking at Oikawa’s photo… the high school, healthy version of him and not the way he looked before he died. He didn’t know if Oikawa would like that.

There were no tears simply because they would not come. But god, he missed him so much. He wanted to go back to the hospital room and talk about how the rest of their volleyball team cried because of his funeral. He wanted to tell him how his funeral was beautiful, just like how he wanted it to be. He wanted to tell him… anything . He just wanted to go back to the hospital room, lay down with him on the hospital bed and just… be with him .

He was in deep thoughts when someone approached him. He didn’t look up, and just continued to stare at Oikawa’s photo, trying to burn the image in his mind. “Iwaizumi-san.”

It was Aiko, “I… I’m sorry for your loss.”

He managed to give a very small smile and nodded before he turned back to the photo again, “I… I just miss him.”

Aiko sighed, “He’s always been a fun person to be with. My hospital days would be lonely without him.”

“I didn’t even get to give him his last wish.” Iwaizumi’s voice broke.

“Ah, about that.” Aiko said, “Oikawa-san gave this to me a few days before we went to Aoba Johsai. He told me explicitly to not read it and never give it to you until…” her voice faltered, “...well, until you know.”

Iwaizumi watched her pull a small white envelope from her bag and hand it to him. He took it and said his thanks before she excused herself and walked towards Oikawa’s parents.

Iwaizumi stared at the white envelope on his hand, contemplating if he should open it or not… of course, he would. He ripped the sealed envelope and pulled out a familiar note from the inside.

It was his note. The one he gave him before… only this time, Oikawa’s handwriting was at the bottom as if to answer his question.

Date her and love again.