Little Monsters Part 7

There was a little creature, about three feet tall, standing beside the box I had left on the floor beside the trapdoor that had closed silently while I was trying to open the bookcase. It stood on feet that looked like dog paws and was coated in a thick brown fur reminiscent of a beaver. One arm was well muscled and ended in a four fingered hand complete with curved claws. The other arm was about half the size in both muscle and length, and was tucked into its chest almost protectively. The creature had a head that was part human and part cat, as if it was a shapeshifter who was only half shifted, though it had two massive fangs that curved down from the top row of teeth, similar to those of a saber-tooth tiger.  Two blue human-looking eyes watched me curiously even as rounded, fuzzy ears swivelled back and forth, as if listening to things out of my hearing capabilities.

"Hey." I offered lamely, letting out a slow breath. "Do you know how to open this?"

I nodded to the bookshelf, not daring to take my eyes off of the little being, who nodded silently and blinked, watching me expectantly.

"Is my friend ok?" My voice was barely above a whisper as I fought panic and frustration. I needed to find Penny immediately, but yelling at the little creature would help nothing.

Another nod.  A pause, then it squeaked. "For now?"

"What does that mean?" I frowned, though when I did, the little being cringed backward and braced to flee. "I'm worried... why would she be hurt?"

"Not on purpose." There was a shake of the head. "She's not here anymore. They left. A fuck?"

Realization dawned on me, at least about the last part, and I let out a slow breath. "It's a word that isn't actually anything."

The being blinked a couple times at me, head tilting to one side. "All words are something. Words are power, even if you think them. But especially if you speak them.  You said it and there was power. Like war."

"It expresses anger, or frustration. I was trying to go help my friend. But I can't, and I'm worried." It was as if we were speaking two unique languages.

There was a soft laugh and the little non-human skipped up to me, then past me to where Penny had disappeared. It climbed up to the shelf that had contained the book then glanced at me, before laying its larger hand on the flawless wooden shelf.

Nothing happened. Nothing depressed, there was no click.

But suddenly the shelf swung open, sending the little being flying through the air. I caught it, surprised at how soft the fur was between my fingers even as I watched the shelf open to expose a dark hallway.

"That's not the right word. It has power, but that word isn't what gets you home." That tiny, squeaking voice offered, a little unhelpfully.

Obviously, it was talking about its home, though I didn't know if it meant there was a password, or if there was some sort of spell or incantation that they had to say to open up the path there. Before I could lower it to the ground, it squirmed from my hands and hopped to the ground and started into the darkness.

I fumbled for my flashlight, searching through a couple of my pockets before finding it and clicking it on, following the creature into the dark and musty secret passage way. "Do you have a name?"

"Yes." The voice responded from where it was walking beside me, reaching up to take my hand. In that moment, it reminded me of a child.

"I'm Nina." I offered carefully, glancing between the fuzzy being holding my hand and where it was leading me into the depths of a castle.

"I am Breeeee." Was the response, Breeeee giving me a proud grin.

As we continued to walk, I realized more and more other beings had surrounded us. Some of them looked similar to Breeeee, though they all had arms were both the same size. Other creatures looked like a variety mythologically associated with house-elves, Urisks or other small, magical beings. Some looked like small humans, others looked like animals walking on two legs, but they were all quiet. Other than Breeeee, they all gave me a wide berth, and if I stepped too close to one, they would quickly shift further away.