Let Me Breathe

LET ME BREATHE

I looked up at the sky. It's only 3:45 in the afternoon and yet it is about to cry.

"Akira, why are you still here? Your classmates already went home."

I turned around to look at the person who spoke and saw Ms. Devon, my homeroom teacher, leaning against the door. How long had she been standing there? I wanted to ask but just shrugged that thought and answered her.

"I'm still waiting for someone, Ms. Devon. Don't worry, I'll go home in a minute." I answered, smiling at her.

She looked at me thoroughly as if studying me. As if making sure that she has the right thought as to who I am waiting for.

"Okay, if you say so. Just call me if you need help or anything. I'm just gonna be next door." she said.

I just nodded my head and went back to staring at the gloomy sky. Not even a minute passing, my eyes automatically closed when I felt the wind started dancing with my hair as if telling me that what I have been waiting for is already here.

"My love, I've come back."

I thought so. I smiled when I heard his voice but I did not bother to turn around to look at him. I couldn't.

"What took you so long?" I asked as I opened my eyes and stared at the sky.

He did not answer so I just continued asking.

"The sky's gloomy today, isn't it?" I asked.

"Yes." he answered. "Aren't you cold?" he added.

"Give me a hug." I commanded, instead of answering him.

I heard the chairs squeaked as he made his way to me. I felt tingles as he wrapped his arms around me. I closed my eyes once again as I felt the cold sensations engulfing me, instead of the warmth he used to give me.

"Thank you for waiting for me." he said as his hug tightened.

I did not answer. Instead, I touched his arms which are wrapped around me. But I couldn't feel them.

"You know that you are the most important person to me, right?" he asked.

I nodded. How can I not know?

"Then forgive me, my love, but I have to let you let go of me now." he said, almost like a whisper.

My tears suddenly fell.

"I know that it's hard but this is for the best, my love. I am hurting but I know that you're the one who is hurting the most." he said.

I did not bother to contradict what he said because I knew he was right.

"Things happened and we can't go back to our good old days." he said.

"I'm sorry." were the words that I could only say.

I wanted to tell him this too back then but I kept my mouth shut.

"I love you, Akira." he said and slowly removed his hug from me.

My tears fell hard. Don't go. I wanted to scream, wanted to chase after him, and wanted to beg him not to go. But how could I?

"Akira, let's go home." I heard Ms. Devon said.

I looked through the room and I could not see any signs of him. I ran towards Ms. Devon and her arms automatically opened to comfort me.

"My child, it's time to let go of Hiro." she whispered. "He's in a better place now. It would hurt him to see you crying over and over again, imprisoning yourself with his warmth." she added.

That's right. How could I even forget? He's already gone.

"I knew that you were always waiting for him. I watched how you patiently waited for him to visit you. But I know that today is the only day that he came to see you. I felt his presence. But this was also the day to say his last farewell. So my child, listen to him and let your heart be free from despair." - Ms. Devon.

"How could I forget?! *sobs* H-How?! I tried living like I used to. I tried to break off the chain that is choking me because of what happened to us. *sobs* But I couldn't let go of him. I just couldn't...because I was the one who killed him." I cried.

"He knew that you wanted to protect him. But he is not blaming you for his death, my child, because I know that he knew it was only an accident." – Ms. Devon

I did not answer her and just continued sobbing against her chest. How can it be an accident?

"So hush now, my child. Let's go home." – Ms. Devon

From the start, I already planned on planting the bullet in his head.

_---_

A / N : Hello guys! Here's a one-shot. Grabe, umiiyak ako habang ginagawa ko 'to. Gaano kaya kasakit kapag yung taong mahal mo ay namatay sa sarili mong mga kamay? I hope I and you guys won't be experiencing that kasi kay Akira pa lang na isang fictional character sobrang sakit na, sa 'yo pa kayang nasa real world? Anyways, this one shot is pambawi dahil ilang weeks na akong hindi nakakapag-update sa AKALA KO HINDI PWEDE. I'll be updating that story on March 1 kasi kailangan ko pa ring aralin yung flow ng mga kabanatang nagawa ko na and also because it is the first day of my birth month! So ayun, thanks guys and good night :)))