chapter 1

"Ashton, Lauren, Harry, supper is ready!" Ashton's mother shouted from the small but yet useful kitchen.

Ashton sighed from his comfortable position and quickly got up and went downstairs, following by his younger siblings. They all sat around their table, taking in the smell of all the deliciousness their mother made. Harry and Ashton, being their typical selves, lunged at the food while Lauren just kept on typing on her phone, utterly ignoring everyone around her.

"Lauren, can you just turn off that phone for one second?" Anne asked with a frown on her face. She didn't reply but obeyed and turned off her phone a couple of minutes later, starting to eat.

"Mom, can I go out with Luke after I'm finished?" Asked Ashton, glancing up at his mother. She smiled, nodding. Luke was Ashton's best friend. Since they met they couldn't go a day without seeing one another, they were literally inseparable in every sense of the word. They were the same age and both had their individual differences, but that's what made them best friends and love each other to death. Ashton was always the taller and stronger one, and because of that Luke relied on Ashton's protection every time he would feel endangered.

When Ashton finished his meal, he took his dish to the kitchen and went upstairs to shower, because even though Luke has seen him with stinky sweatpants and a stained t-shirt, he wanted to look good for his best mate.

*After a half an hour*

Soon Ashton arrived at the café where him and Luke always go to when they want to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. It was a small and quiet place with a rather relaxed ambience. He looked over to their table and there was Luke, lost in his own thoughts. He smiled and made his way towards the blond boy and quietly sat opposite to him.

"Hi!" Said Ashton, fondly smiling at his best friend.

Luke looked up and quietly greeted him back.

It was unusual for Luke to be quiet because he was the type of person to always be happy and zestful, but lately not so much. The shine from his sapphire eyes gradually disappeared and Ashton took notice of that.

"Are you okay?" He asked, concern was evident in his soft voice.

"Yeah . . . Just tired." Said Luke, looking up from his bony hands once again. The purple bags underneath his eyes seemed evident, but Ashton didn't believe him.

He stood up and extended his hand out to Luke, saying "C'mon, let's go Lukey."

Luke stood up, hesitantly taking Ashton's quite larger hand and intertwining their fingers. Ashton's hand was warm and soft and that soothed Luke.

They headed back to Ashton's place without even discussing where they were going. The walk was silent, filled with mixed emotions. Ashton felt worried. He felt like a coward for not having the courage to ask the person who meant the world to him what's wrong. But Ashton didn't bring it up, he didn't want to push any boundaries and make things even worse.

Once they got to Ashton's house, they made their way to his room.