Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO
First Step

"Emma," Ray called out to her again. "...let's overturn destiny."

A pregnant pause.

Emma and Ray remained looking at each other. There is a familiar rhythm between them. They remained looking at each other, as if they are talking- just as how they used to be.

And Ray would be honest, he missed this tune. He missed looking at Emma's eyes and they would just know. He missed having her around, seeing her smiles and hearing her playing with their family. He missed her for two long years, he feels like he'll die the next time he loses her.

While Emma is dumbfounded. She knew what Ray is trying to tell her, but she cannot put her words into it. It may sound ironic, but Emma understand what he's trying to say, she just don't know what it is.

And it was so frustrating.

She wanted to do something for these people. She wanted to be the Emma they knew. She wanted to be the Emma Ray knew, but she didn't know how.

And Ray's words itself was a promise. It was a magic casted upon Emma and she doesn't want to waste his magic. His words were a declaration, a romantic spiel Emma knew she'll be bound for life.

But, rather than feeling scared, Emma felt like they can do it. She feels like it is possible.

To remember these people.

To learn to love them again.

To be their family again.

To overturn destiny.

Emma can see it, she can hear him, telling her through their eyes that, "We can do it."

Ray is determined. He knows they can do it. And even if he can see the uncertainty in Emma's eyes, he's determined to make her believe.

They took the first step already, after all. They found Emma. Even if they took everything from her, they found her.

They found Emma, despite destiny saying they shouldn't have.

The wind flew past them. The tears in both of their eyes have dried up. Emma tried to say something, she open her mouth to say a word but closed it immediately when she found no words to say.

She felt Ray's hold on her tightens, "Emma-"

"Your father is leaving."

Emma and Ray's eyes widened, turning to the voice.

Emma blinked, twice, looking at the silver-haired guy. Norman, as everyone calls him. She snatched her hand back from Ray's hold immediately, standing up abruptly and turning around, "I'm going to see Papa off." she announced, dragging her feet.

She can feel both of their eyes follow her every step. And somehow, she felt comfort. She felt like, having the both of them looking after her, checking up on her is something normal. But despite that, she continued walking, refusing to turn to the two.

When she turned right to the pathway, and sure that the two set of eyes is no longer following her, she breathed deeply. She clutched her right hand to her chest tightly, feeling the warmth that Ray had left.

She wanted to cry again.

"Aila." 

Emma turned, hearing the name she's used to from a very familiar voice. She smiled sadly to man in front of her, memorizing the features of the man who became a father to her.

"Emma." the man corrected himself, shaking his head a little, throwing Emma a knowing smile.

Emma threw herself to him, crying as her father hugs her tightly. "I'm still your Aila, Papa."