37. More than you know

Hey 😊 I hope you all have a nice weekend. I'm sure I have because I'm back and more excited than ever. God it feels so good. It's not the best or longest chapter ever, but hey, at least it is one, OK? 😅 And I can promise I will update more frequently from now on. 🤗
Thank you so much for those commenting and asking about me in my hiatus. 😚

God, I was so angry with myself.

Even if I was totally convinced about that Charles hugged me because he saw the RB team coming our way, I felt bad because they might have gotten the wrong idea. And judging by Daniel's expression, that was exactly what happened.

No. I can't fuck this up. Not this one.

Waves of panic flashed through my thoughts and suddenly Charles Leclerc standing next to me was the last person I cared about.

"Shit. Sorry. See you around," I grimaced looking at him, and the next second I was on my way running to the Media Centre.

I was late to talk to Daniel - they were already asked to be wired up and on their way to sit in front of the cameras with Max.

However, I managed to find Vicki, so I sneaked next to her.

"Hello Clara," Vicki greeted me with an uncertain, confused expression. I stopped her before she could say anything else.

"Don't even start please. I'm on it," I grimaced, and paid some attention to the interview with our guys.

"So, Daniel. My question is for you. Do you think as an Australian you might have an advantage at tracks in tropical conditions like this, compared to the others who come from cold countries like Kimi?"

Jesus. What a dumb question is that?! I can see why all the drivers hated media days.

In contrast, Daniel smirked, and easily settled to give an answer. Our gazes met for a millisecond before he looked back to the journalist. I couldn't judge his emotions by that brief look of his. I swallowed and waited for his answer. I felt my heart become slightly lighter when I saw his lips curve to a smile.

"Obviously," he laughed. After a little pause, he continued. "No, I only wish I knew this track as well as Kimi does! Being used to sweating and heat means nothing here. Nor having good looks! It's only the experience man," he grinned again, and I scoffed at his adorable direct, easy honesty.

I waited patiently for their duties to end, only my feet were tapping on the floor like crazy.

When the guys walked out I joined them immediately.

"Clara," Max was the first one to notice me. His voice was more than huffish even a little hurt. I rolled my eyes at him, and sent him a stare, silently begging him to shut up.

"Hey," I heard from somewhere above me. I tilted my head up to look Daniel in the eyes. His lips were curved into a smile but his eyes gave him away - he was worried.

"Hi," I smiled and tried everything to show him we are okay. We were leaving the building, and walking on the paddock strip but still, I couldn't just hug him there no matter how bad I wanted to.

Luckily, both Vicki and Aurelie felt like the need of a friendly chat, so there was no awkward silence between us.

As soon as we got back to the Energy Station, everyone went their own ways - meaning I snuck into Daniel's room after a brief hesitation.

He seemed to be waiting for me, sitting on the armrest of his sofa.

"Hi," he said again. "I saw your meeting turned out smooth?" He asked although it wasn't really a question, and he averted his gaze off me to the floor in the end.