chapter 5

“Ugh, pfft, fuck this shit”

For any passer-by, the sight of a teenage boy’s head popping above the water surface would have been a peculiar thing. However, for this one time, Louis couldn’t care less about it. As he tried to climb on the in algae covered shore, he discovered this was harder than he first expected. After several attempts, all ending in failure, he was ready to give up, and decided that  hanging half in the water with his arms resting on the short above him wasn't that bad at all. 

“Jump in mate” a loud shout suddenly came from behind.

“What?”Louis turned around

A blonde boy, probably a little younger them himself, was hanging over the side of a gondola

“I said, jump in” He did not sound Venetian at all

"Erm, okay” Louis hestitantly, a hint of suspicion edging his voice

The blonde, a big smile of amusement plastered on his face, stuck out his hand to Louis, which he thankfully grabbed. In a surprisingly smooth movement, the young gondola captain managed to pull the brunette on board.

“Seems like it’s not the first time you do this” Louis smirked

“Nah, you’re not the first tourist to end up in the water, believe me”

“Excuse me, but I’m not a tourist” Louis said, a little offended, cause honestly, he did not look like a tourist right?

“Sure you don’t” the young blonde smirked “But, more importantly, how the hell did you fall in, I mean I’ve seen lost tourists in many parts of the city, but not here”

“Firstly, I repeat: I’m not a tourist. Secondly,  I just slipped and fell okay” Louis quickly turned his head away to prevent Niall from seeing his cheeks turn red.

“Whatever” the younger boy said.

“By the way, I’m Louis. Nice to meet you…” Louis gave his rescuer an expecting look.

“What? Oh! Sure, we I haven’t introduced myself yet” he slapped a hand against his forehead. “I’m Niall, great to meet you Louis”

“So Niall, you’re not from around here, are you?”

“Ha, no I’m from Ireland, but my heart lies here in Venice. Plus the food here is a treat for your taste buds , you know” Niall laughed. “But” he continued more seriously “do you have somewhere you need to go? Cause if you do I’ll take you there”

The possibilities shot through Louis’ mind.

Homeless centre? Ew, no disgusting. Filipo? But where the hell did he live?

Louis let out a short sigh. “No, not really”, 

“Ah, I see” Niall shot Louis a knowing look

“You see what” Louis didn’t understand what the Irish lad was getting at

“Oh, don’t you play innocent with me! You know what I mean” the Irishman wiggled his eyebrows

“No, seriously, I don’t” Louis exclaimed

“You have been kicked out by some rich noble”

“How the hell did you know that?”

“I can see it in your eyes Louis. And also you’re wearing a servant’s costume so it’s rather obvious.

So what’d you do? Sleep with his daughter? Made a move at his wife?”

“Ehm, something like that” Louis sighed