chapter 29

The evening was a festive affair.

Bea and Cirdrissa came to Alice's room to choose dresses for dinner. Bea had managed to steal a fiddle from the band downstairs, and she played an off-key jig as Alice and Cirdrissa paraded around the room in different gowns. Cirdrissa chose a pale pink number that complimented her fair skin, and Alice ended up with a white gown. Real red butterflies twined up the skirt and bodice, their wings fluttering gently, and Bea cheered so loudly when Alice gave a little spin that she immediately felt bad for ever wishing she wasn't there.

"You look unreal," Bea told her. "Hearts will break."

Alice snorted. "I seriously doubt that."

Bea and Cirdrissa exchanged a look.

"We'll see," Bea said, setting down the fiddle. "You might be surprised." She smiled proudly at Alice's dress. "We chose well."

"Where's yours?"

Bea looked horrified. "A dress? Oh, I'm not wearing one."

"She doesn't wear dresses," Cirdrissa supplied helpfully, sitting on the bed to pull satin slippers on to her feet. "She hates them."

"They're impractical," Bea pointed out. "How on Zirna am I supposed to kill someone if I can't even kick my legs above my waist?"

Cirdrissa paused. "Are you planning to kill someone?"

"Maybe." Bea shrugged. "We'll see how the evening goes."

Dinner was a medley of slow-cooked root vegetables, fresh bread and smoked cheese, and a rice that tasted vaguely of coconut. Clearly excited by the prospect of new guests, the palace chefs had outdone themselves with dessert, creating a towering pile of sticky buns soaked in honey. As the dessert plates were cleared and the dancing began, Alice turned to Lamir on her left, pitching her voice low.

"So," she said, amused. "Ireefa, eh?"

The tips of his ears colored. "Don't start."

"You kept that quiet."

"I tried to tell you," Lamir muttered, and he looked surprisingly worked-up. "Right before she arrived. I tried to—"

"Relax, Razik," Alice said, surprised. "I was just teasing you." When he remained silent, Alice decided to take pity on him. "She seems nice," she said, more gently this time. "When she's not glaring at me, that is."

Lamir didn't smile. "She's kept my secrets," he said. "If you've ever had a secret, then you know the value of that."

Alice's mind went immediately to the note that the servant had given her, the one that Diasoma had written before she died. Harden your heart, Alice. She twisted her bracelet, looking at Lamir speculatively. She could tell him, she realized. He would keep her secret. Hell, he might even be able to help her figure out what it meant.

"Black?" He leaned closer. "What is it?"

She opened her mouth — to say what, she didn't know — but Alice never had the chance to find out, because a blur of gold bangles interrupted him.

"Lamir!"

"Speak of the devil," he muttered.

"There you are," Ireefa said. She gave Alice a short nod, hardly bothering to look in her direction before she turned a cool smile on Lamir. "Dance with me?"

"I—" Lamir looked gob smacked. "Is that appropriate?"

"I'm the queen." Ireefa's smile grew. "I get to decide what's appropriate."