Sunday Morning

Richie woke up from what felt like the most restful sleep of his life. It was unprecedentedly early, and the sun streamed through the cracks in the blinds. Eddie was still in his arms, his breathing slow and regular, asleep. Richie wished he could wake up like this every day.

Still, it started to feel wrong, started to make him feel guilty to keep holding Eddie so consciously. Ashamed, he tried to slide his arm away.

Eddie stirred and groaned, 'Rich?'

'Sorry,' Richie whispered. 'I didn't mean to wake you.' He moved away completely, feeling hollowed out like a pea pod.

Eddie grumbled and curled in on himself. 'Cold.'

Richie toyed with going back but decided against it. He started to tug at the sheets.

'Richie, if you rip the blankets away, I swear to God –' Eddie warned.

Richie blushed, 'Oh. No, I was,' he stumbled. 'There's an extra one. Here.' Richie finally managed to tear the comforter out from under the mattress and drape it over Eddie.

'Oh,' Eddie said, genuinely surprised, touched. 'Thanks.' He rolled over, cocooning in the new layer.

'You look comfy,' Richie said smiling, sliding his glasses onto the bridge of his nose as he sat up.

'What time is it?' Eddie mumbled.

Richie shrugged, 'I don't know. Morning.'

'Don't you have a watch?' Eddie chided.

'No. I don't need a watch. It's always time to fuck your mom, so.' Richie joked.

'Fuck you, asshole.' Eddie frowned.

Richie spotted Eddie's watch on his end table. He leaned over Eddie's huddled body to reach for it. Eddie opened his eyes to see Richie's torso stretching over him, the dark curls across his chest, the outlines of his ribcage and collarbone, the muscle tensing in his upper arm.

'It's five thirty,' Richie said, then put the watch back down and removed his glasses again.

'Oh, gross. So early.' Eddie squeezed his eyes shut again.

Richie sank back down under the duvet. He lay there for a while, trying to fall asleep, finding himself staring at Eddie's face and wishing he could touch it. They were so close to each other, only a few inches separating them. It felt like torture.

'Eddie?' Richie whispered.

'What?' Eddie groaned quietly.

'Nothing, I was just seeing if you were still awake.'

'Yeah, I'm still awake. Just about.' He shifted position but didn't open his eyes.

Richie sighed, 'I can't get back to sleep.'

Eddie hummed croakily. 'Something on your mind?'

'Always,' Richie said. 'Your mom mostly.'

Eddie raised a hand and dropped it limply on Richie's cheek, a feeble slap. 'Beep beep, Richie.'

Richie smiled dreamily, 'You're cute when you're sleepy.'

Eddie's face broke into a grin, 'Shut the fuck up.'

'Is that a smile?' Richie asked, shocked, leaning in closer, disbelieving his eyes.

'What?' Eddie's face twitched, and he refuted, 'No,' but the smirk stayed on his face, immoveable even though he tried.

'It is! You're smiling.' Richie gasped. 'Do you secretly like it when I call you cute, Eds?'

Eddie growled and opened one eye, 'Don't call me Eds.'