season one, episode three

The sound of their shoes squeaking against the gym floor resonated throughout the room. The sun outside was already beginning to come up. Kageyama spiked the ball once more and watched as Hinata landed flat on his face. Hinata couldn't focus today - his mind kept fluttering back to the girl he'd met yesterday.

"Damn it! Stop dragging your feet," Kageyama snapped towards the ginger, his body still pressed against the floor. "What happened to those reflexes you had? Get it together!"

The taller boy had his hands balled at his sides. Hinata groaned and pushed himself up slowly, "All I've been doing is receives. Kageyama, we're running out of time! I wanna jump around! I wanna do some spikes!"

"Well, that's too bad!" Kageyama's eyes narrowed as he yelled at the smaller boy. Ever since they had met (y/n) yesterday, the two of them had been a bit more tense with each other. Both boys glared at each other before their upperclassman cut in.

"That's enough," Tanaka yelled, his arms crossed as he stared at the boys in front of him. His eyes were locked onto the two of them. "A word to the wise: Daichi's a nice guy most of the time, but you will not like him when he's mad. Trust me."

"Yeah, we know," the two younger boys said in unison.

"If he were to find out we're practicing early, I'm so dead. Not that I'm afraid of him or anything," Tanaka shoved his hands onto his hips, rolling his shoulders back. "Of course not," he shook his head. "That would be ridiculously ridiculous."

Tanaka kept muttering to his underclassmen about how "not scared" he was of Daichi. A few footsteps sounded from outside of the gym before the doors slid open. Tanaka yelped and twirled around while his underclassmen stood still.

"Aha," Sugawara's voice sounded, "Just as I suspected."

Sugawara pushed the door open a bit more, a baby-blue scarf around his neck. He carries his shoes in his hand. "Hey!"

"How'd you know?!"

"C'mon," the grey-haired teenager sat on the floor, pulling his shoes onto his feet. A glint was in his eyes as stared at his friend. "Something was obviously up. I mean why else would you offer to take the key to the gym when you always show up to practice at the last minute?"

The second year sweat-dropped, his eyes flickering towards the ground in embarrassment. The third year waved his hand around, "Don't worry, I won't tell. Your secret's safe with me. Clandestine crash course - that's pretty exciting."

All three students sighed, relaxing their shoulders. They thought for sure that Sugawara would rat them out for a moment.

***

Tanaka let out a yell as he leaped into the air. His palm slapped down against the material of the ball, watching as it landed on the floor with a crash. "Wooh! I'm on fire!"

Sugawara received a different ball, sending it straight towards Hinata. But the ginger's eyes weren't focused on the ball in front of him but rather the ball that Kageyama had just set for Tanaka. Sugawara's ball came down and bonked Hinata in the head.

"Hey! You're not paying attention," Sugawara lectured, his hands balled at his sides.

"Hey, I wanna hit, too! Throw me a bone here, Kageyama," Hinata yelled in the young setter's direction, ignoring Sugawara completely. Kageyama sighed and closed his eyes before whipping around to face the smaller first year. "You're all about your sets, aren't ya? Go ahead, send one over this way!"