Chapter 3

𝚁𝚊𝚎𝚊'𝚜 𝙿𝙾𝚅

     As fourth period finished up I started packing my backpack. The school day has been okay, even though I've been stuck with Marcel. I got a little break for third period. Except we ended up having lunch together. *mental eye roll* He is already becoming well known. Which means I'll be on my dandy way in no time. He'll leave me alone and not "embarrass" his image.

      Don't get me wrong, I love and adore myself. I just hate hearing what people have to say about me 25/8. I wear better outfits when I'm not at school. I don't usually see people outside of school, but that's because I live out of the district. With my mom being the superintendent for this county I go to these schools. Here at school, I cover myself because I get tired of hearing people's comments. I don't care what they say, I'm just tired.

        As I finish putting my pencil pouch in my bag, the bell rings. I grab my keys and make my way to the student parking lot, where ill be meeting with my friends. "Raea Rae wait up, " I hear from behind me. Who could this be? No one calls me that. I turn and see a cheesing Marcel. I roll my eyes and step off to the side to wait.

           "Why do you move so damn fast?" he questions as he catches up. Because nigga I got things to do, people to see. I didn't say that to him though. "I have to meet up with my girls and move my car before practice, " I answer slightly leaning against the wall. "Let me ride with you to the gym parking lot. I don't want to walk in there by myself I don't know the team yet, " he practically pleads. I watch his body language and he seems anxious. I nod complying with his pleading. He smiles and says naggingly ", Thank youuuuu!"

     We continue walking. I text the girls as we walk to the parking lot, letting them know I'm coming. It's pretty far from our fourth period. I look up to check my surroundings and then back at my phone. It was loud in the hallway as usual. I realize I never got my other AirPod back from Marcel. "Where's my other AirPod?" I ask looking at him. He reaches in his pocket and hands it to me. "It was safe no worries, " he answers. I laugh to myself. I never said it wasn't.

    We reach my car and I see the girls standing near it. "Heyyy Queen!" they announce before I can greet them. "What about the King?" Marcel inquest, playfully acting hurt. "And King of course!" Mar responds enthusiastically. I laugh at how sweet she is. Marcel daps her up. "Thanks, Homie, " he says. I hug the two girls and get in as they all follow. I don't know why, but the girls hopped in the back.

       "Why y'all get back there?" I question. They both shrug as Marcel gets in. I wait for him to settle and I start the car, pulling off. I stay quiet as they talk amongst themselves. I'm not trying to be rude but I do have anxiety. So sometimes my social battery dies and I need to stay quiet to recharge. Plus the ride to the gym parking lot isn't that far. We get to the parking lot in 7 minutes because after school traffic clogs any parking lot entrance/exit.

     The girls get out and walk into the gym. "You okay?" Marcel investigates. I look at him. "Yeah, I'm fine just needed some hush time," I answer nonchalantly. He raises his eyebrow and gets out bringing his things with him. I would have told him about my quirks but I don't know him like that. That's why Ang and Mar got out without questioning because they know me well.

     He stands outside the car waiting for me. I grab my jacket, keys, and purse before locking the doors. I walk towards the doors of the gym gesturing for him to come with me. He complies and walks beside me. "It's weird getting a new coach and team, " he discloses. I look at him nodding. "I couldn't even imagine, " I state out of empathy. We get inside and I show him to the office/locker room area. I set my stuff on the table and I knock on the coach's door.

   I hear him say come in and I push the door gently. I walk in and say ", Hey coach, Marcel is here." I grab Marcel's arm and pull him into the office. He looks at me, shocked that I touched him. I giggle lowly to myself. Always keep these muvafuckas' on their toes. "Take care of him, I've had to All-day, " I playfully nag. Coach Manders stands up throwing away the food that was previously being eaten. He's actually super super fine. I think I might have a thing for older guys. Who am I kidding? I know I have a thing for older guys.

    "Glad to finally have you, Marcel, " Coach boasts and they dap each other up. Coach goes into the storage closet grabbing Marcel his team apparel. Which consist of sweat pants, a hoodie, a book bag, and a beanie. All of it had our school logo on it. I decide to let them handle business and I left to start setting up for practice.

      As I'm unlocking the sports closet I hear someone call my name. I turn to see Armelo. He is a tall, muscular light skin black boy with white teeth. I smile to myself. "Yes Armelo, " I respond with a hint of fake annoyance. "Why you take my parking spot nigga?" he asks staring down at me. I look at him confused, momentarily realizing I did take his spot. I burst out laughing and shrug going into the sports closet. I grab the chair rack and I roll it out. Andre blocks my walkway.

I look at him and roll my eyes. This time I'm actually annoyed because I have things to do. He grabs the other side of the chair rack. "Next time you take my spot we gonna have a issue muthafucka'," he growls. I laugh again. Is he mad about it for real? "Mel I don't care about a parking spot. Stop being slow and get there before me, " I retort shrugging. He smacks his lips.

"Who is ol' dude from earlier?" he questions. I look at him like he grew two heads. Why does everyone keep asking me that? Why not ask themselves. I roll my eyes and respond, "If I tell you, will you move?" He nods leaning against the chair rack. "That is the player Coach got from North Leak county, " I answer waiting for him to move. He moves out the way and I push the rack past him.

I walk with a little more unnoticeable sway, hoping he's looking. I have a huge crush on Armelo. Since I met him Freshman year. The good thing is, we are in the same grade. Which means I have time to build the courage to try and get to know him better.

As I'm pushing the rack through the double doors, I see Marcel looking around for someone or something. He looks my way and comes jogging towards me. I can't rid of him can I? "Can you take me home today? My car is sadly in the shop, " he asks, smiling like a Cheshire cat. I giggle and nod. I guess I'll be nice today. "I thought some of us were going to The Waffle House," Armelo announces from behind me.
I bite my lip remembering. "Wanna come to Waffle House with us?" I say before thinking. Did I really just invite him to come with us? I'm trying to get away from him.*mental slap* He smiles and responds, "Hell yeah, I haven't had that in a min." I nod pushing the chairs to the spot. "Problem solved!" I say loud enough for them both to hear. I set the chairs up and I get the score table ready for us to take notes of their practice.

I go get the notebook and I see Ang and Mar filling up water bottles. I go to help them. "I got the court ready for us and the team, " I announce grabbing a bottle. They both nod. "Had a long day Rae Bae?" Mar questions. By the look on her face, I knew she was referring to the silent spell I had in the car. "Just a social recharge," I answer honestly.
They both nod smiling. I love how much they care. I'd kill for them and I know it's mutual. Sisters without the blood.

"Why is Armelo so muvafuckin' fine, " I admitted to the girls. Ang laughs and responds, "I told Margaux you'd say that." Mar laughs along with her agreeing. They know me too well.