Chapter Thirteen

Chapter thirteen

Tom pulled away, his eyes going straight to Elayne's. They just laid there, staring at each other for a few moments, neither one of them speaking.

Tom reached out a hand and picked up one of her curls, twisting and twirling it around his index finger.

"That was my first kiss..." Elayne whispered, a shiver running down her spine as Tom's fingers gently twirled her hair.

Eyebrow raised, Tom asked, "Was it? Did it meet your expectations?"

There was a pause as Elayne thought about it, her eyes traveling to the ceiling. After a moment or two of silence, Elayne's eyes met Tom's once more. "It was perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better first kiss." She whispered, catching her bottom lip between her teeth.

A smirk flitted across Tom's lips. His hand gently pulled away from her hair and went to her face, cupping her cheek in his hand. He brushed his thumb across her bottom lip, trying to get her to let it go.

Once her teeth had let go of her lower lip, Tom leaned down and kissed her once again.

When he pulled away, Elayne smiled up at him. "I think this is better than anything Wyatt could have come up with."

Tom's face twisted as he sat up. "Reed was planning on kissing you?"

Hesitantly, she nodded. "Yeah. He had said he wanted my first kiss to be perfect." Her bottom lip found its way back between her teeth once more.

A smirk played on Tom's lips, an eyebrow raising. "Well, that is an interesting bit of information. We'll have to let him know that it was indeed perfect."

Elayne shot up into a sitting position. "You want to rub it in his face? That wouldn't be very nice, Tom!"

Snorting, Tom reached up to brush her hair away from her face. "Reed deserves to know what he missed out on." The backs of his knuckles grazed against her cheek.

A shiver ran down Elayne's spine, Tom's touch sending tingles throughout her whole body. "It's been hard the past few weeks... Not speaking to you. Even though I told myself I would never speak to you again, a part of me has missed you. Wyatt had been so sweet to me, up until today. I don't even understand what happened..." her brow furrowed; her head tilting downward.

"Evangline Parker is what happened. I told you she's a nasty girl. Probably dug her claws back into Reed. He wasn't a good match for you anyway." Tom said, gently pushing her chin up with his fingers.

Blue met brown, a smile tugging at the corners of Elayne's lips. "And who would be a better match for me then?" She whispered.

Tom paused for a moment before sighing. "Would it be to forward of me to say, that I believe myself to be a better match for you instead of Reed?"

Elayne couldn't contain the giggle that came out of her mouth. Nor could she contain the butterflies that had been set loose in her belly.

Tom bit back a smile, before sighing again. "We should get down to the great hall. Dinner has most likely started."

Elayne stared at him for a moment before agreeing with him.

The pair got up off of the bed and walked towards the door.

They walked down to the great hall together, neither one speaking. When they reached the doors, they saw the great hall had filled up with students.

Elayne stopped in the doorway, turning towards Tom. She chewed on her bottom lip for a moment, wringing her hands.

Raising an eyebrow, Tom asked, "What is it?"