Chapter 3

Calliope's p.o.v-

It was just like any other day and Dr. Reyes was trying to get everyone to talk while I sat on Sam's lap and played with his hand. That had become a nervous habit of mine.

" Yesterday I asked you to think about the first time your mutation manifested. Would anyone like to share? Sam. Calli. Illyana. Roberto. Rahne. Look, we can't help each other unless we talk to each other. I've said this a hundred times this program can't help you if you refuse to participate. So Rahne, why don't you start?"

Rahne starts to speak but the door opens and someone walks in. " Please join us Dani. This is our new patient. Danielle Moonstar. Lets do our best to make her feel at home. Go ahead Rahne."

" Right, I was 13 I remember running through the woods." " How did you feel?"

" Free. Like the most free I had felt my whole life. But, guilty to. 'Cause I knew it was bad. I went to Reverend Craig, to see if he could pray it out of me. He asked me to show him so I changed."

" And what did Reverend Craig do?"

" He beat me 'bout half to death. Said I was a witch. I was going to hell." After a short pause Dr. Reyes started talking.

" Would anyone else like to share their first time?"

Illyana started talking. " New girl. How fucked up are you?" "Illyana."

Then Roberto answered with a grin. " Drugs I bet. Or an inf u maybe. Hopefully."

" Keep behaving exactly the way you are right now, and we can all just spend the day in solitary."

When she said those words I tensed up and Sam grabbed my hand a gave it a light squeeze while the Roberto and Illyana apologized to me.

" Sorry Calli." "Sorry sis."

"It's okay, don't worry about it."

" I want all of you to think very carefully, about how you'd like to use your time here. And how long you want that time to be."

Illyana, tired of Dr. Reyes talking, stood up and grabbed her jacket.

" Illyana since your already up, why don't you show Dani around."

"And why do I have to?"

" Because I'm asking you to."

Illyana and Dani leave and then everyone else but Sam and I leave. He looks at me.

"Hey, are you okay?"

" Am I getting better? Because I don't feel better Sammy. Why don't I feel better?"

At the end of my sentence I started flickering. 

"Calli listen to me, you are getting better. It might not feel like it but you are getting better."

"I love you."

"I love you too. Hey, what do yo say to going outside right now?"

"Yeah. I could use some fresh air."

We walked to a door, holding hands so I could walk on the ground,  and waited for Dr. Reyes to unlock it. When the door was unlocked Sam opened it and I let go of his hand and stepped outside and I could feel myself hovering. I smiled and spun around.

"It's been so long since I've been outside."

Sam looked at me and grinned. We started walking around.

Dani's p.o.v-

I climbed up to the top of the clock tower and stood on the ledge thinking about jumping. Just as I'm about to step off a voice stops me. I recognize it as Rahne.