Chapter 1

Entering the Lioness I felt like an outsider; I didn't even have their colors orange and black to blend in a little, so I went to buy a scarf.

"Thank you," I said, then left the little store on the corner of the street and started to ride my horse again.

After riding for a short time I finally found a small run down room that no one had been living in for years. As I took a deep breath I felt like vomiting from the horrendous odor that still lingered in the room. Unfortunately this was the best place I could find in such short notice, so I tried to make it work. While looking around the room I noticed a mirror still hanging on a wall. It was cracked at the bottom and had a spider web affect all the way to the top.

I went remove my mask so I could look at my own reflection. As I did so it took me a second to recognize myself. I looked really tired and much older, my hair was more dirty blond than before and even though I had it cut to my shoulders 10 months ago, it had grown down to the middle of my rib cage. My eyes were a vivid blue and I could see fear in them of being caught and being dragged back to my father.

As the month went on I was careful to only go outside when I had to and make certain not to be seen. Except all that I could think about today was who will win this year's Stelleta race and that my family from all over Remora would be here to watch it unfold. I too wanted to see the race but the best I will be able to do is cautiously watch one of the morning heats.

When I left, I remembered that I forgot to put my mask on, so instead I pulled up the hood of my cloak to cover my face. I then made it to the compo just in time to see the last lap of the morning heat. Once it finished I heard cheers from this heat's winner. As I was looking at all the amazing horses I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Beatrice and Carlo, my older brother and sister were both standing on the street a few feet away from me. My first reaction was to dart out of there but that would draw even more attention to me, so I just slowly turned around and walked away.

No longer being able to see them I ran as fast as I could over to the Rams thinking that none of my family members would dare to be there. Then as I slowed my running down I noticed how hard my heart was racing. I turned around just to make sure that my brother and sister didn't see me leave and I then notice the Rams' jockey and I'm guessing his friend walking my way.

"May I ask why you were running," said the jockey's friend.

"Um...,"  was all I was able to cautiously get out because I couldn't think up a lie quick enough to tell them why I was running.

"I'm so sorry how rude of me, my name is Luciano and what is yours."

"My name? Ohhh it's...," and I faded out, unsure if they would know who I am if I said my name.

"Sorry what is your name? I didn't hear it," Luciano asked very warmly.

I answered very quietly, "It's Layli. My name is Layli and you will probably not want to know why I was running."

"Ohhh and may I ask why not?" questioned the jockey this time.

I then slumped against the wall slowly seeped down the wall and was unsure of what to say next, but I just decided to tell them that it's a secret that no one else can know about.

"Will this secret get you thrown in prison?" questioned Luciano.

"No it won't get me thrown in prison, but I will just be punished for my actions." I said to them.

The jockey who was leaning against the wall then pushed for an answer, "It can't be that big if what you have done won't get you thrown in prison."