the strangest murder in london

"Well, Dr. Jekyll, what do you make of this?"

The fellow scientist crouched over the body, grimacing at the wounds.

"Well, from the wounds alone, it seems like their skull, everywhere else on their body, was bashed in with a slender yet heavy stick."

"So a cane, then," Sherlock replied, impatiently tapping his foot. He didn't have time to go over information he already knew.

"Er- yes. And it seems like it's the head of it, too. But, some wounds were inflicted via kicking, too." Jekyll looked a little troubled, given how he was near the most popular detective in London. If he wasn't careful, he could accidentally expose himself.

"So, this man was beaten to death? This seems like a moderately normal death, given what we've seen so far," Watson inquired, leaning over Jekyll's shoulder.

"Yes, but the events surrounding this murder are rather questionable. You did say this man's name was Sir Danvers Carew, correct?" The detective asked as he stepped over to stand right across from the scientist.

"That's correct, yes," Dr. Jekyll responded, nodding his head. He covered the poor man's dead body with a tarp, standing up and taking off his gloves.

"According to personal witnesses and public record, this gentleman had nothing to hide, and nothing to be hated for. And judging from what he was carrying, the murderer didn't want him for his money, either," Holmes pointed out, looking at the recently covered corpse.

"And," Sherlock continued." Judging on the bruises and wounds, the killer seemed to have been overcome by some animalistic rage and pummeled this poor man to a pulp.

"Alas, there were was only one witness, and even then, she couldn't properly describe the perpetrator," Sherlock muttered with a frown.

"A witness?" Jekyll replied, looking shocked." She... what did she say?"

"Well, for one, all she could say was that the person seemed to greatly unsettle her, that his 'aura' looked malicious. Which could easily be translated into 'The man was so unsettling that I can't imagine his face and attributes.' "

"Well, that's one way to put it..." Jekyll mumbled to himself, earning a curious eyebrow raise from the detective.

"Do you happen to know the man behind this description, Doctor?" Holmes asked, his tone sounding skeptical.

"I- erm, I don't, actually. I've only heard this description from my servants. They can be terrible gossips, sometimes. I always thought they were over exaggerating when they discussed this stranger," Jekyll lied with a smile. He tried to look as calm as possible, but with no avail.

"I hope you don't plan on lying to me this whole time, Jekyll," Sherlock commented smoothly, narrowing his gaze.

"Holmes, stop. He's been helping us this entire ti-"

"Nervousness. Nervous smile. Glancing away repeatedly. Upper body rigid. Common signs of lying and you can't seem to hide them well," Sherlock listed, completely dismissing Watson who is trying to stop him.

"You know something about this man, don't you? And yet you're trying to cover it up."

Jekyll gulped, weighing his options. He knew if he admitted that Hyde did it, then it wouldn't be long until Holmes made the connection. But, if he said nothing, then he could be listed as a possible suspect.

"Alright, fine. I do know who the murderer is," Jekyll confessed, taking a deep breath. He had to be careful about what he said, or he would put himself into deep trouble.