000

𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒓

sometimes i was able to get away with sitting with other houses. other times i didn't mind, because i had luna. she was new to hogwarts and thankfully in ravenclaw like me. don't get me wrong, i loved the other ravenclaws but i didn't feel like i belonged.

for breakfast i ate with luna and today was the day we got post. i watched as howlers were opened and owls dipped up and down. it was so exciting, making everyone smile and laugh, wondering what you'd received from home.

as i waited for my owl to swoop down, i twiddled the charm on my necklace between my fingers. it was a small silver globe that spun on a chain, i never took it off. it was given to me last christmas, as i couldn't get the actual world in the palm of my hand. so, i had the necklace. draco bought the same one for him too.

"what do you want out of life?"

i turned to draco, watching the smoke dance from his lips. i couldn't tell what was his breath in the cold and what wasn't anymore, but it blended together so beautifully. we had more meaningful conversations, ones that made you question everything you'd ever known. draco was usually the one to bring it up, and i wished he would speak to me for hours.

"i want lots of things, there's not one good answer for that." i answered the best i could, part of me not able to comprehend such a question and the other part of me freezing.

draco and i met at astronomy tower a few times a week, whenever we could really. it was always after hours. i loved my visits with him, he was so different when it was just the two of us under the sky. it was like the raging fire within him had been calmed to a mere spark, but he still shone far brighter than any star above us.

"greedy little thing, are you?" he smirked and looked at me, blowing a cloud of smoke into my face. i scrunched up my nose and turned away, watching the campus. it was so different at night, so quiet.

draco hadn't always smoked, at least he hadn't told me he did. last week we stood in the tower, staring out at the trees when he pulled out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. i was too scared to say anything, but my eyes said it all.

"stressed, that's all," he shrugged and turned away from me again and i felt a pain in my chest. i knew he had a hard time when he was away from hogwarts, but i didn't know it got this bad. whenever i asked he shrugged it off, avoiding the questions.

"c'mere," draco's voice pulled me out of my flashback before he wrapped his arms around me. this is what friends do, isn't it? so he held me, breathing the smoke into his lungs while i got high on the smell of his cologne.

after we stood in silence for what felt like years, i spoke into his chest, "i'm not greedy, i just want the world." i laughed after, feeling his chest vibrate below my cheek. he laughed too.

"say the word and i'll give it to you," he looked down at me and flashed me a small smile, his eyes shining. his hands moved up to my shoulders, running up and down my arms in an attempt to warm me up. i smiled back, and that was all i could do because the rest of me was on fire. i was so mesmerized by the beautiful boy holding me.

that christmas, a small box was placed under my pillow. i don't know how it got there, seeing as draco couldn't get in and wasn't friends with any of the ravenclaw who would've been able to put it there. i didn't let that puzzle me for too long because inside the box was a necklace with a charm of a globe, paired with a note. when i unfolded the ripped paper, i knew it could only be draco by the rough handwriting.

"until i can get you the world.
love, d"

"rayne, your owl's been by already. are you going to read that?"