Chapter nineteen: Morgan

Heart racing, I gingerly sat in a chair, watching as Alexander sat down next to me.

We had just finished dancing for what seemed like hours, and now my feet are so wedged in my heels I bet they'll never come out.

As I glanced at Alexander downing his third butterbeer I wondered where he came from.

He'd just whisked me away after our embarrassing karaoke dilemma, and Chris and my friends were too busy dancing to notice I was gone.

There was something about him that seemed familiar though; maybe it was his sparkling green eyes, his sense of humor and kind nature that reminded me of my father before he turned hard.

Maybe it was just that I was secretly falling for him even more than I was for James.

Which was ridiculous, because before the dance I had never heard of him, nor met him but I found that Alexander was like an improved James, one that James himself  could never give me.

And as much as it hurt to "let him go," (even though I never had him) it felt better to welcome Alexander in my heart instead.

"Hey Morgan, I want to show you something." Alexander said, and my heart seemed to skip as he grabbed my hand and pulled me away.

If we ever became more than friends we'd have to talk about grabbing people without they're permission.

But I let him, and as we stepped outside the Great Hall doors Alexander told me to close my eyes. "I want you to be completely surprised," he said, and I closed them.

"Okay when I get to three, open them. One, two, three."

I opened my eyes and gasped.

There stood the lake, illuminated with thousands of floating lanterns against the cool night sky. "Alexander did you do this?" I asked, and he laughed. "Are you kidding me? This is Hogwart's work, not mine."

He grabbed my hand. "Come on, let me show you this one spot." He pulled me along, and I glanced at other Hogwarts couples sitting by the lake, laughing and softly whispering.

We walked for about five minutes before we got to the end of the lake. There stood an enclosure of white rose bushes that surrounded a bench, a willow tree hanging over the side.

I sat down and Alexander joined me. "Why did you take me here? Is it because white roses are my favorite? How did you know?" I asked him, rather suspiciously. Alexander's eyes twinkled. "I have my ways."

He keeps saying that.

"So Morgan I wanted to ask you. Do you still like James?" His question alarmed me so much I almost fell off the bench. "H-H-How did you know about that?" I stammered, and Alexander's eyes flashed playfully.

"Everyone sort of knows Morgan. I mean you two fight all the time don't you? And now Steph and James have broke up, so that leaves you two in the perfect position to you know, date."

I laughed nervously. "I guess, but Alexander that's over now." Alexander's eyes flashed with a hurt I didn't understand, but it evaporated quickly.

"Is it because you've met me?" He said, amused. I looked at him shyly. "Yes," I whispered, and he grinned.

We sat in silence for a bit, enjoying the beautiful scenery. Finally I looked down at Alexander's pocket and noticed something poking out of it.

"What's that?" I asked, and Alexander shuffled his feet. "Oh, um it's-" He didn't get to finish. I pulled it out, and my face paled as I noticed it was the letter I had dropped in the library.