Chapter 14

The 45-minute drive to the airport occurred in a complete silence. Raphael knew Caitlin did not want to talk to him. And he had to respect it if he did not want to start off on the wrong foot. Therefore, it was still without exchanging a word that they followed a steward who led them to the VdV company's private plane. Meanwhile, an employee of the airport took care of the luggage with the help of their driver.

Inside the aircraft, Caitlin took the same seat she had occupied during their flight to California, with the same working intentions she had had back then. And Raphael did the same. Consequently, they were both on each side of the plane. Which meant they would not have to interact with one another. And it was on this reassuring note that Caitlin continued working. She locked herself in her bubble of deep concentration. And only the hostess asking if she wanted to drink something disrupted her once or twice.

At some point, Caitlin got out of her bubble for a fraction of second. She did not know for how long she had been working, but she instantly assumed it had been for quite some time, considering she was now sitting with her feet hanging over the armrest, her back leaning on the wall of the aircraft and her left shoulder pressed onto the comfort leather of the seat, her laptop on her legs. It had always been one of the positions she would unconsciously take after working for a long time.

She was going over the training report of one of the horses, when she sighted Raphael sitting on the other side of the table that was covered with her files.

"I see you still work in the weirdest positions," he tried to joke.

"Got a problem with that?" Caitlin gibed without taking her eyes off her screen.

"Not at all. As long as you are comfortable."

"And I am."

A brief moment of heavy awkward silence followed. Raphael was looking for something to say. Caitlin had easily guessed it, but she had no intention in making small talk of any kind with him.

"I thought you would have taken your week off, considering the circumstances," he eventually clumsily came up with.

"You and I both know that with our kind of responsibilities we don't really get such things as 'day off'. And it's not because I am not on-site for a few days that I cannot work. My internship lasted six months, and I still have managed to fulfil my duties. So compared to it, a few days is nothing."

Caitlin had answered with a cold and detached voice. Although, as a way to show him a little of respect, she had raised her eyes from her computer and turned her face in his direction. Raphael was obviously feeling like he was in a position of weakness, which had been exactly what she had hoped for. She was fiercely determined to make him feel unwanted. The young man was playing with his fingers, his hands placed on the table. And Caitlin had to refrain the smirk that wanted to appear on her face.

If time had been different, she would not have wanted for someone to feel belittled by her. But right now, she wanted it. Raphael had teared her heart in millions of pieces. And even though now she was in a different place, she was ready to let him back. During their first relationship, he had taught her to trust again, only to betray her later on. Then, during her internship she had given him back her trust. And once again he had betrayed her trust.

A deep feeling of anger slowly rose inside her because of that thought. Plus, the fact that he still had the nerves to show up and beg for a chance. So, perhaps Felicity was right, and Caitlin still loved Raphael. Although, he would have to give her substantial proofs if Caitlin were to ever consider letting him enter her heart again.

"I get your point of view," Raphael eventually stated, abruptly pulling Caitlin back to reality, "However, I think you should get some sleep after we've had lunch. You look exhausted. And you'll need quite the amount of energy for the afternoon you'll have upon our arrival."