Chapter 11 Night Out

"Lieutenant Yun." Ye An warned Xi Chen with an intense glare.

The innkeeper shrugged nonchalantly. "Eh. I guess. But you'll need to pay too. No freeloaders at my inn. I'll give you a fifty percent discount since you won't have any bed space."

"Sure. Keep the change." Xi Chen handed the innkeeper the full payment for two instead of taking the innkeeper's discount and even added a generous tip.

"Good sir! This way, please." The innkeeper escorted both Ye An and Xi Chen up the rickety staircase by the reception desk.

"Excuse me. I wasn't aware that I gave you permission to share my room." Ye An hissed quietly at Xi Chen as they followed behind the innkeeper towards their room for the night. "And I didn't need you to pay for my stay."

"Your Imperial Majesty-" Xi Chen started to reply quietly with a low voice but before he could continue, the innkeeper stopped in front of a room at the end of the corridor.

"My apologies, my lords. The room is a bit cramped. I hope you understand." The innkeeper apologized as he opened the door to the room and scooted to one side to let both the young emperor and lieutenant in.

The door opened to a small room that was only seven steps wide on each side. With all the furnishings, it was just spacious enough for one person but would be slightly crowded if there were more than a single person in the room. Due to the infrastructure of the building, the ceiling of this particular room was slightly steeped as it was a corner room, forcing Xi Chen to bend his tall frame when he entered the room behind Ye An. The old wooden floorboards even creaked with every step they took.

"It's alright." Xi Chen turned towards the doorway and replied to the innkeeper kindly as the man squeezed himself into the narrow room to light the oil lamp for them.

As the oil lamp was lit, it illuminated the low table at the center of the room on which it rested. The table was surrounded by a couple of cushion seats that had signs of wear in their fading colors. The only window in the room was a small one towards the right of the entrance which opened up to the dark back alley. A single bed was placed beneath this small window. Towards the left side of the room, there was a large wooden screen separating a round wooden bathtub, a washbasin, and a portable urinal from the rest of the room.

"Good night, my lords. Don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything. I'll be at the reception desk the entire night." The innkeeper informed Ye An and Xi Chen before returning to his post at the reception desk.

Xi Chen's stomach rumbled suddenly after the innkeeper left. Ye An was reminded of what Governess Hsu had said earlier about the lieutenant fainting because of her. She would be at the end of an endless fit of nagging if that actually happened so she sighed before heading out to stop the innkeeper from leaving.

"Is your kitchen still open? If so, please send us some supper." Ye An ordered as she handed the innkeeper some gold nuggets.

"Oh! Yes, of course, my lord!" The innkeeper was now wide awake at the sight of the shiny golden pieces that were handed to him.