ambrosia and nectar

TW: discussions of suicide and death

Chapter Two:
ambrosia and nectar

—————

Lee was, to put it lightly, fucking exhausted.

The nine-year-old girl was dropped off at the infirmary at the ass-crack of dawn (Clarisse had run in expecting to scare the Apollo children awake, but, for some strange reason, none of them were sleeping and the sun wasn't up yet) and he'd spent the last twelve hours tending to her. She was small, possibly too small to survive the injuries sustained by whatever monster attacked her and Lee felt so bad he'd been pumping ambrosia and nectar into her bloodstream perhaps more than he should have been, hoping to alleviate the pain in any way he could.

She hadn't moved since she collapsed at Chiron's feet, and a few campers had gathered round to check in her having heard about what happened, one of them being Annabeth Chase. She sat by the girl, twirling her thumbs hooked round the hem of her bright orange shirt, blonde braids tied back with a black ribbon in a low ponytail, grey eyes slowly blinking in the extent of the girl's— Mia'sinjuries.

Annabeth reached a hand out and looped her fingers with Mia's blood stained ones loosely, legs swinging as she shuffled closer to observe the girl's face. "Aphrodite," she whispered, her index finger ghosting over Mia's features. Lee's head shot up and he frowned at how close Annabeth was to his patient but, after she sent him a sunny grin, he softened.

"Huh?"

She stared at him with stony resolute in her grey eyes. "Aphrodite. That's her godly parent," she huffed.

Lee blinked before snickering. "And how do you know this, Beth?"

She flushed furiously at the use of the nickname, ducking her head so she could look at Mia again.

"She's pretty"

"You could just be gay, Annie, no one said she's my sister," a shimmering voice called out, Silena. She carried a pile of clothes Annabeth guessed was for Mia since hers were all bloody and muddy and gross. Silena grinned, an angelic sight that had everyone captivated for a few moments before they even realised, pushing dark hair behind her ears delicately before crossing the room to study Mia's face. "You are right though Annie, she is very pretty."

Annabeth bristled, teeth dragging over the inside of her cheek in response, ignoring how Silena's forehead creased with worry as Mia began to twitch slightly.

"Lee," Silena started, peering back to check on the healer, "I think she's waking."

A head of messy curls appeared next to the bed, blue eyes sparkling with hope, a small smile pulling at the corner of his mouth as he clasped his hands together in prayer. "Dad, dearest father, Daddy-O, please help this girl get better, please heal her, grant me the power to heal her," he begged softly, eyes scrunched shut, head tilted upwards, a golden laurel leaf clutched between his fingers. Annabeth shuffled again, nose wrinkled with curiosity as she leaned forwards.

"You have very nice eyes," she whispered, nose practically brushing against Mia's.

Mia blinked. "I like your eyes too. And your hair, it's very pretty," earning a shy giggle from the daughter of Athena.

Silena yelped in surprise, hand weaving around Annabeth's bicep and tugging her back sharply. "You— no offence sweetheart— but you should be dead."

Mia blinked slowly. "Am I not dead? I thought she was an angel," she questioned, eyes fixed on Annabeth and Silena.

Lee snorted. "Nah they're human, now can you tell me your name?" He waited for a second before reaching to help her sit up.