Promise

Author's note:

COMPLETE ME HIT 20K READS! Holy fucking shit I'm so happy but so confused at the same time? I'll be the first to admit that it physically and mentally hurts for me to read my own writing from that "era" because it's just so bad. But I swear I'm planning a rewrite, I just can't think of stuff to put in instead almost killing my mc all the time like I originally did lol, give me some time to get my shit together. And now onto stuff actually about this chapter! Was it self indulgent angst with little to no plot? yes. Will I maybe make a part two one day that makes it a happy ending? maybe. For my sake, let's all pretend the team lives apart an Tony lives in a nice high-end townhouse downtown, okay? But for the time being, please leave plenty of comments, don't forget to vote, and most importantly, enjoy!

Rain had been in the forecast the entire weekend, and it didn't look like it would be stopping anytime soon on Monday. It took a huge toll on traffic; roads were closing and bus routes were being changed or put on hold indefinitely. The streets were in no shape for anybody to be out.

Despite knowing that, she paid no mind to it, trudging through the dark and empty streets. Instead, she kept going, she ignored the pain in her thigh and the blisters on the back of her heel made her inhale sharp breaths with every step. She ignored the piercing pain in her back when she tensed, which was quite often out in the cold, wet open. The throbbing pain at the back of her head didn't make her waver, didn't make her stop, not when she was soaking wet and alone at night in the middle of town, not when she had somewhere she needed to be.

Another lie. It wasn't a place she needed to be, but rather a place she (wanted) yearned to be, and maybe she wasn't welcome. It wouldn't be a surprise anymore, not when she disappointed everyone, and herself, but she didn't have many options left. Maybe it wasn't the best choice, maybe she could've gone somewhere else, maybe she would be better off facing the "how could you"s and "I thought you were better than this", she should've gone somewhere else, anywhere else.

She should be getting her keys out to unlock her apartment door, heading to the shower, and ignoring the worried cries from Clint. She could even be knocking on the screen door and letting Bruce draw her a bath while they sipped on hot tea. Hell, she was even considering jumping the gate and climbing up to Sam's window and letting him hold her as she cried herself to sleep.

Then what was she doing there? Why was she knocking on the hardwood door in front of her, without a clue of how the rest of the night would play out?

Seconds felt like hours before the door was opened quickly, only going as far as the small chain near the top would allow. She was met with the all familiar sight of those deep brown eyes, and in a flash, they were wide in shock.

She couldn't blame him, she could only imagine what she looked like. It was very obviously not an appealing sight if the numbness in her bones had any say in it, but something in her was convinced it wasn't how she looked like that caused him to instantly freeze up.

"I didn't know where else to go," her voice sounded hoarse, even to her, but she guessed it was just loud enough for him to hear seeing as just a moment later the door was shut, the sound of the chain being unlatched, before he opened the door fully.

He looked good. Dressed in pajama pants and an old t-shirt, but still good, considering the last time she had seen him. He looked fresh out of the shower, something that she assumed to be a sign that he didn't have anyone over.

Tony hated leaving people waiting. A habit that they apparently did not have in common. He moved aside, and she wasted no time stepping into the warm space.

"J-just a second," he said before running off inside, returning with a towel that he laid across the floor, "don't want to ruin my floors."

She snorted, he was still as stuck up as she remembered, "think you could spare me one?" she hadn't stopped shivering, not even after feeling the warm heating from inside his house.