Chapter One

I tightened the strings on my bass guitar and made sure the amp was plugged in tightly. Holding my pick tight between my fingers, I plucked a string and heard a low-pitched thrum from the speakers.

Too low. I adjusted the peg and tried again.

Much better.

A streak of aqua-dyed hair fell over my eyes and I brushed it back. The seven hoops I wore in each ear chimed whenever I turned my head. In my lime-green pleather miniskirt and shredded purple top, you'd never think I was a middle school teacher.

But then, that was the point.

"Ready to go, Liv?" Across from me on the small stage, my best friend Kelly Nunez was tuning her guitar as well. Her curly dark hair was tucked under a bubble-gum pink wig, and her leather corset top was studded with chrome buckles.

"Oh, I'm ready," I grinned back at her. "I had to listen to way too many recorder recitals this week. I need to blow off some steam."

On the drums, May Lee pushed her dark bangs out of her eyes, impatient to begin. Rhea Harris, Sugarvenom's lead vocalist, was waiting offstage for the signal that we were ready.

Loud rock music pumped from the overhead speakers. People milled around the crowded, dimly lit bar, waiting as we warmed up our instruments. We'd been playing every other Friday night at Terry's Place for the past three years, and had gained a small but loyal following.

But soon it would all be over. We only had a few shows left. And I was determined to enjoy every minute of it.

Finally, our instruments were set up and in tune. I nodded to Terry, the burly, tattooed bar owner, who killed the music. The crowd began to gather around the stage, clutching beers and colorful cocktails.

I grinned at Kelly and May, who both nodded back.

Let's do this.

Plucking the pick over the steel strings, I began playing a low, rhythmic bass line. On the guitar's neck, the fingers of my other hand moved in various patterns, pressing into the hard callousses it had taken me years to build.

As I repeated the riff, Kelly came in with a high, echoing note on her electric guitar. May crashed in on her drums. Then Rhea entered the stage, her short blond hair spiked into a series of triangular points like a stegosaurus, her curvy figure accentuated by a skin-hugging blue minidress. The crowd began to cheer, and I almost had to blink back tears.

God, I was going to miss this.

Rhea came to the microphone, her red-glossed lips almost kissing its surface as she launched into the first song.

"I don't remember the time or plaaaace

I just remember the look on your faaacce.

All I know is is that's the night I was looooossst!"

Kelly's fingers flew over the strings, blending effortlessly from chord to chord. Behind us, May's ponytail was doing a wild dance of its own as her entire body moved with the effort of pummeling the drums.

Rhea finished on a long, high note that got roars of approval from the crowd. Giving them a wink, she launched into the second verse.

"Now your eyes are all I seee.

Every touch—burned into my memorieeees!

And I know that you are where I am foouund!"

Rhea's voice soared above the audience. I grinned, continuing to move my fingers in a simple but ever-changing rhythm. All the members of Sugarvenom were pretty skilled, but Rhea really had the pipes. Between my lyrics and her vocals, I'd always thought there was a real chance we could have made it to the big leagues.