Beginnings and Endings

DESCRIPTION: a Forced/Arranged Marriage story

BACKGROUND: After Mr. Darcy's first proposal, he did not write Elizabeth the letter, nor did the two meet at Pemberley; instead, the former retreated to Pemberley to deal with his swirling emotions after Rosings, during which events explained in this book happened to the Bennet family.  After hearing of the news, Mr. Darcy hastened to Longbourn to take matters into his own hands.

NOTE: I have decided to base this book around more of an inherently good and honourable Darcy, like the one I believe to be in Pride in Prejudice and not the one in most of these sorts of fanfics.  I personally believe Darcy can go to extreme and desperate measures to obtain Elizabeth as a wife before it is too late and yet not be a cold, heartless beast.  I am truly tired of rake Darcy essentially raping Elizabeth on the wedding night and then afterwards being sweet and expecting her to love him; it does not at all seem realistic or in character to me.  Therefore, this Darcy will be much more like the one I wrote in Disdain, Agony, Hope, and Love.

I hope everyone is excited for this book; every comment and vote is SO much appreciated and 100% correlated with updates.  I love you guys!

Darcy kept his words short and to the point, not bothering in the slightest to beat around the bush about his intentions.

"I am here to request a private audience with Miss Bennet."

Mrs. Bennet's eyes went conspicuously wide, her incessant ramblings of bafflement at his sudden arrival sputtering to a dying halt on her tongue.  "Oh . . . oh!" she gasped, her hands coming up to press dramatically at her chest.  "Mr. Darcy, we are so pleased to have you here at our humble abode - that is - "

"Where might I find her?"  Darcy asked curtly.

"Jane is in the parlour; she'll be thrilled to see you, especially after, well-"  She fanned herself, flustered.  "It has been ever so long since we have seen you and Mr. Bingley here in Meryton-"

"I am asking for Miss Elizabeth, Mrs. Bennet, not Miss Jane."

"Oh . . . "  Mrs. Bennet stopped, plainly obfuscated.  "Well, then . . . Lizzy is on a walk, I believe she should be returning soon . . . "

"I shall wait, then," Darcy said, seating himself in a chair.  

"Of course, yes.  And may I just say, Mr. Darcy, how pleased Lizzy will be to see you-"  Her voice faded out at his impassive nod, eyes darting about the room awkwardly before she seemed to make a decision, bobbing a curtsy and backing towards the exit.  "I will - ahem - leave you, then."

Darcy nodded again, tersely, his thoughts elsewhere.

Last time he had made Elizabeth Bennet a proposal she had refused him utterly, thrown both his pride and his love back into his face with a cruel dash that had slashed him even deeper than he was willing to admit.

Now - with her father's death last month, the fool Collins coming to claim Longbourn within the week, and her dearest sister likely being pushed to marry a merchant nearly old enough to be her uncle - she would surely not reject him this time.  She could not.  Elizabeth Bennet would become Elizabeth Darcy whether she liked it or not, and- and even if she despised him now in time perhaps she might come to-

"Mr. Darcy," said an emotionless voice.  "I hope you are well."

Darcy jolted up from his ruminations to see Elizabeth had entered the room, her attention focused on shaking off her parasol and clearly not bothering to curtsy.  His mouth tugged upwards at the action, his lips involuntarily forming a soft smile as his eyes took in the woman he admired and loved so dearly.  Even with the sting of her words still etched upon his heart, he had missed her presence terribly, all those agonizing months at Pemberley having only the inferior representation of her likeness his mind could recall to taunt him in day and night accompanied by the ringing of her scathing tone in his ears.  "I- yes, I am, thank you," he replied sincerely.  "And you?"