Part 4

Batman came striding into the room, but stopped abruptly when he laid eyes on Nightwing.

To say he was surprised to see his 'brother' turned 'ward turned 'brother' again was an understatement. Shocked would probably be a better description. He simply stood there, not gaping (because Batman never gapes), in silence.

Nightwing gave him a slight smile, walked over and gave him a hug.

Now, it was the team's turn to be shocked, for two reasons; Wally's story was true, and secondly, Nightwing was hugging Batman who returned the gesture and he was smiling! Smiling! Batman never smiles!

The two older heroes broke apart and stepped to the side of the room, speaking quietly in hushed voices. Artemis glanced at Conner who shrugged meaning that he couldn't hear them. M'gann linked the team up.

'I don't understand,' Artemis started, 'Who is this guy? And where's Robin? Klarion mentioned that he was here, unless there's another 'bird-boy' around.'

'The guy Batman is talking to is Nightwing,' Wally explained, 'As for where Rob is, I have no idea. He's probably hiding in the vents or something.'

Artemis frowned. It wasn't like Robin to hide away once the villains had gone. He was a people person. He'd be standing with them, cracking jokes or coming up with some more stupid prefixes. No, something was wrong.

Artemis relayed her thoughts to the others through the mind link, her team-mates listening carefully before agreeing with her views.

It was then that some of the other League members entered.

Flash came in first, dashing straight over to Wally to make sure that he was okay. Wally explained to the League what had happened, gesturing over to Nightwing as he did so. The Leaguers looked over towards the two Gothamites as they finished speaking and joined the main group.

In an instant, Nightwing was nearly knocked over as Flash barreled into him, the others soon joining in on the bear-hug. The team simply watched as Batman smirked. Nightwing seemed to have a strange effect on the Dark Knight.

Eventually, things calmed down, but none of the Leaguers had yet to notice Robin's absence, so Kaldur spoke up.

"Has anyone seen Robin?"

Nightwing looked slightly startled, before glancing straight at Batman, who nodded slightly in agreement. Nightwing rubbed the back of his neck nervously as he addressed the group of heroes.

"Well, here's the thing," he began, "I am Robin."

387 words