Part Four, Uncle Bert Responds

So now you know.
I spent six years in that wretched boarding school, but never did I send Bert a letter. Never did I keep my promise. And it's over now. 
I'm never going to walk into that school again.
I'm never going to have a little brother.
I'm never going to worry about exams.
Because it's over. All of it. There's nothing I can do about my miserable childhood, but write a letter. I wonder how Uncle Bert will be feeling. He's all alone in this world, and I think I may of just broke his heart. I'm not expecting much of a reply. I only wrote that letter for two reasons: to keep him informed and to ask for forgiveness - if I deserve it.
I mean, it's what I want most, but after all I've done do I really deserve it? I am going to write to my parents next and ask them, but I know how much they dislike me because they make it ever so clear.
Oh, what have I done! I've just betrayed everyone and now I'm asking for forgiveness.
My brother's dead. My mother's upset. My father's unhappy. My uncles angry.
And it was all my fault.

_______________
Five Weeks Later....
_______________

I rush down the stairs as quick as a flash and check the mail. I've been checking post rather frequently now and a good thing too. Uncle Bert has just replied to my previous letter. And it's a long one too.

Dear Lucy,

I was starting to worry that you weren't going to write to me but, against all odds, you did.
Look, I really can't blame you for what happened by the river -I never thought you were a murderer anyway- and so, in answer to your question: yes I do forgive you.
Look, I know how you must be feeling and I never told you this at the funeral but I love you ever so much. I only ever visited you once, yet that was enough for me to know how sweet you two were and I just adored you. And when I heard about what happened by the river, I was furious. How could people possibly think that you would murder your own brother? Anyways, who could possibly stop a child from being curious?

I'm sure your parents loved you too, and they even told me yesterday that they regret sending you boarding school. You didn't deserve it. You just didn't. I actually wrote to you when you were at the academy but all the letters got lost in the post. Oh, I felt dreadful, thinking that you must feel miserable. I was always tempted to just visit you in boarding school but I lived so far away that I never seemed to have the money fund such a journey.

I tried everything and I hope you understand that. In fact, I'm even going to ask for forgiveness like you just did. Oh, I am sinned and I know it. Keeping you in the dark like that. That's a terrible thing to do. So I beg you. Please Lucy. I'm all alone in this cruel world and all I want is for my niece to be on my side, but it's really your choice. Not mine. Yours. I shall wait for your reply and I promise to visit you one day.

Kind regards,

Your uncle Bert.

I read this letter twice but then collapse and start crying. So I've finally, after all these years, been forgived! And it was all because of my uncle.
My uncle Bert