Flames In My Eyes

Isla

I look up, smelling the air. Something wasn't right, the air felt thick and dry. Then the alarm went off, it's shrill blares cut through the air. Terror pumped inside me and I ran as hard as I could. I ran across the street and into the house next door. I grabbed the phone and dialed the fire department. But I knew they would not make it in time. My family was inside, Mama, Dad, Sophia, and my baby brother, Angel. 

I watched the smoke pour out the doors and windows, and the flames licking the roof. The image of my burning house started to blur as my eyes filled with tears and I began to weep. 

"Mama, Papa!" I cried out into the sunset, past the burnt-out shell of what used to be my home. A while later, I sifted through the rubble of the house. In my bedroom, I saw my violin, still in its case, fireproof. I unlatched the case, wincing at the still searing metal. She was unharmed. I picked her up and began to play. 

The song was melancholy and somber. I hoped my family could hear it, wherever they were. I walked through the house, still playing when I came to baby Angel's room. I dropped to my knees and began to wail when I saw his baby wrap, still laying in the burnt remains of his crib. 

When the police arrived, I was still crying with Angel in my arms. They took me into their office to question me. I couldn't believe they thought that I started the fire! Why would I have killed my family! I couldn't believe this! I could barely answer their questions, I just sat there and cried. One officer looked at me sympathetically. He mumbles something I couldn't hear to the officer next to him. 

"So, Isla. What you have experienced is enough to drive anyone insane. So, To take your mind off things, we are sending you to Colorado." The first officer says.

I look at him with suspicion. Why would I want to go to Colorado! And, how? That was when it hit me. I was going as a foreign exchange student.