Chapter 4: Difference of Opinion

Peter found El waiting for him at the end of a long day. She'd already walked Satchmo and had changed into a robe. "I was going to get us ice cream," she said, "but would you rather have a sandwich? We have leftover ham in the fridge."

"No, just ice cream, thanks. I may make a midnight raid later on."

"You won't have long to wait. It's already eleven. Your call from the police station was cryptic, to say the least. I'll trade you chocolate syrup for a better explanation."

"Deal." Following her into the kitchen, Peter filled her in on what had happened since Neal first approached him at the lecture while she dished out bowls of Rocky Road ice cream. "Honestly, hon, this has to be the strangest day I've ever had in my life."

El was a practicing neurologist and clinical professor at the University Medical Center. Peter was counting on her advice on how he should proceed. As he described the day's events, her skepticism was front and center. "It seems unlike you to take such an interest in someone you barely met. Neal must have struck a responsive chord."

"I don't know how to describe it. When I first saw him, I thought he was simply an overworked, strung-out senior. But there's something about him—beyond his keen intellect—that's very compelling."

They took their bowls of ice cream and returned to the living room with Satchmo tagging along every step of the way.

El curled her legs up on the couch and held her bowl high out of Satchmo's reach. "I could play psychologist and say your response was triggered by your subconscious. It associates Neal with your brother Tom." As Peter started to interrupt, she held up a hand. "But given the way you're rolling your eyes at me, I won't. However, you're also alerting me to the fact that you're not being very objective about this."

"I admit it sounds crazy, but you have to agree he was right about the bookstore."

She nodded. "And that sketch of the starfish he showed you must have made you wonder if there could be any truth to his story." She considered for a moment. "Wasn't there an account of your discovery in the Egyptian Archaeology Bulletin a couple of months ago?"

"It was only a brief description of the artifact, but it could have triggered his dream. He claimed, though, that he hadn't read anything about the discovery."

"His memory could be impaired. What happened in your office could have been a panic attack."

"But why would it have stopped when I returned the object to the safe?"

"If he'd convinced himself that the starfish was affecting him, then simply knowing it was no longer present could have been enough to stop the attack. You said he mentioned it was acting like kryptonite on him. On a subconscious level, he may be channeling Superman." When Peter started to laugh, she shook her head. "It's not a laughing matter. I've read accounts in psychology journals of the Superman complex, a type of mental disorder. Neal fits the profile. He's young, overworked, probably an idealist. In the aftermath of the war, scientists have identified several syndromes that are associated with the trauma of war and the helplessness people felt. What Neal experienced could have been driven by a defensive mechanism of his subconscious."

"But how could Neal have known about the murder?"

"Perhaps Seth mentioned he was concerned about break-ins. Arkham's had a rash of them recently. You mentioned Neal and Seth were friends. Neal could have been anxious about him."

"Another coincidence?" The scientist in him refused to give much credence to coincidences. There had to be a rational explanation for what had occurred.

El also looked troubled. "As for the monster he described ... To me, that sounds like schizophrenia. The trauma of the attack in the bookstore could have provoked a psychotic episode. Anxiety, a distorted view of reality, confusion, visual or auditory hallucinations—those are all common symptoms of the disorder."