one

kaden: day one

I didn't mean to get caught. I planned everything out so meticulously. The fact that I did get caught insults me. It insults my intelligence. I planned out everything down to the last second. I don't know where I went wrong. 

My parents said that a lot too on the way to the hospital in the ambulance. Everything was fading then, but that's all they kept saying. Where did we go wrong?

When we got to the hospital, they pumped my stomach. While I was out, the doctors suggested I be taken to a psychiatric care facility. Of course my parents listened. They can never let me be happy. 

Now I'm here, getting my blood taken for the third time and my body examined for scars. I'm naked in the middle of a white room with only one door and a camera in the corner. Three male nurses are running their hands all over me, lifting my arms up, checking in strange places on my body for anything unusual. The one looked at my hands.

"You smoke," he stated. It was not a question. 

"Yeah, so?" I said.

He tutted at me then went on about my skin, poking at me and writing down things. 

"Tattoos as well," he observed, nodding with a frown. 

I hated being examined like a specimen. It felt like I was under a magnifying glass. 

"Put these on," the one nurse said. He handed me a pile of light green scrubs, a pair of socks, boxers, and slip on shoes. After I took them, he grabbed my clothes from the corner and left.

"Hey wait!" I shouted, making a move over to him. They shut the door before I could stop him and I was left by myself, with only these unfamiliar hospital clothes and a camera watching my every move. "Fuck this," I mumbled, throwing all the shit they gave me across the room. I paced back and forth before sitting down against the wall, still clotheless. 

Twenty minutes went by before someone came in and asked me to put the clothes on. I refused, threw a shoe at the door, and they left. An hour went by before another person came in and asked the same thing. 

"Fuck you," I spat.

A total of one hour and thirty two minutes went by before I got cold and put the clothing they provided me with on. Right after, a nurse came in and escorted me out. 

"Congratulations. That was the longest anyone has ever gone. Now, I'm taking you to your room then bringing you to common room. Dinner will be served shortly, then a calming wind down exercise afterwards will be held in the common room. You'll be taken back your room, then once you wake up you can shower and will meet with your doctor for more tests," she explained. 

"Cool," I said sarcastically. 

"Oh, before I forget, here is a list of some of the rules we have here. Make sure to follow them, or else after three warnings you'll be taken to the quiet room for a short stay," she said. 

I was alone again. There were other people in the room, but I was alone. It was much larger than I thought it was going to be, for the short few minutes I knew about it to think up what it would look like. I scanned the room. To the right was a large seating area with a TV playing. To the left it was pretty open, not much there. Stuff was lined up against the wall, so I assumed it was used for multiple activities. Large windows were spaced out every five feet, keeping the whole space light, but large bars were placed over them and made one feel like they were in a cage. 

Suddenly, something caught my attention.

She was sitting in the windowsill by herself, gazing outside between the bars and the glass that separated her from the outside world, and about the thirty feet difference from the ground. A journal was resting on her lap, along with a pencil with a dull point in her left hand. She was sketching mindlessly without even looking at the paper. Whatever she was drawing was outside, and I guess it was so captivating that she couldn't take her eyes off it, like the way I couldn't take my eyes off of her.