Together

I slowly look up. She's still standing there, hands on her hips, a tiny smirk plastered on her face. "Oh, so you want to fight?" I growl. She merely stares at me. "Who are you?" I shout at her. She just stands there and doesn't answer. I crack my knuckles, not giving her the satisfaction of wincing, and leap to my feet. "Okay, then. We'll fight." I winnow right in front of her and ... she vanishes. I growl and spin around but don't see her anywhere.

          A wicked chuckle echoes right above me. "Surprise," she murmurs and drops right in front of me. I blink at the fae form she has transformed into. If anything, she's even more beautiful. Taking advantage of my shock, she swipes and rakes that damned dagger down my arm. "Curse you," I spit and swipe out with my claws, but she sidesteps so quickly and cuts my other arm. Her laugh rings out across the lake. I growl and back up a few steps.

          Then, I smile. If she wants to play, I'll play. Pinning her with a glare, I send massive water-balls hurtling her way. I even turn a couple of them to ice. Her eyes widen, momentarily surprised, but then the water evaporates in mid-air. I gape at her, dumbfounded. The water should have knocked her out. Instead, she's standing there, smirking at me again. Her eyes are bright. Is she laughing at me?

          This time, I try to form fireballs. Let her taste a bit of her own poison. But they won't form. Little wisps of smoke curl up from my hands. They seem to mock me. Goddammit. I don't look at my enemy. Instead, I just leave.

          "Look," she tries as I stalk away from her. "Look. I didn't mean to make you so upset." I keep striding, my wounds already clotting. She sighs, and I think she's going to leave me alone, but then she jogs up right in front of me. "Move," I hiss, about ready to shove her out of the way. "No," she smiles, but this time, it's not filled with amusement. It's a sad smile, filled with agony. It's as if I'm seeing a reflection of myself.

          But I don't care. "Move or I'll make you move," I ground out, knowing it's an empty threat after she just beat me. Her lips quirk up at the corners, sensing the empty threat, but she doesn't laugh. For once. Instead, she moves out of the way, and I stride past her.

          "My name is Aelin. Queen of Terrasen. Known by some as a Fire-breathing bitch-queen," she calls. I slowly turn to face her. Her face is all serious, no humor. She's not lying or being dramatic. "What?" I ask, needing to hear it again.

          She looks at me, her face like stone, and repeats: "My name is Aelin. Queen of Terrasen. Known by some as a Fire-breathing bitch-queen. And ..." she hesitates, "I don't deserve any of it." Her face falls for a moment, and for whatever ridiculous reason, I want to comfort her. But then she straightens and her expression cools. "I just wanted to see the extent of your powers," Aelin says, "You wouldn't have shown me if I had just asked." A hint of a knowing smile.

          She's right, as much as I hate to admit it. I don't show my powers to strangers. But ... Aelin is not a stranger. I've heard of her. Rhys even helped her once, a long time ago, back when I was first pregnant. He told me about it later. How he had seen Aelin hurtling through the sky. Aelin had held out a hand, as if pleading for help, and Rhys had sent a blast of power to slow her down.

          So. I cross my arms. This is she. "Why are you interested in my powers?" My tone is sharp, but I still don't understand. Aelin breathes what I think is a sigh of relief and explains herself. "Rhys contacted me. Told me he was the fae who had helped me home all those years ago." Aelin shrugs. "He asked me to repay the favor and help bring you home."

          I'm about ready to repeat my question, and scold her for not answering it, when she continues. "But I don't think I'll do that." She smiles and her tone is full of sass and rebellion. "Why?" I demand. She looks me dead in the eye, her smile disappearing and says, "Because we can help each other." She toes the ground, rushing on as if afraid I'll reject her. "Earlier, I said I didn't deserve to be Queen. And it's because I can't seem to have an heir."

          I nod, understanding, and wait for her to go on. "I know what you're doing here. I've heard of Koschei." Aelin lets out a breath. "Your powers aren't enough to find him. But combined ..." She holds out her hands. "Our combined powers would be enough to free him."

          "Show me," I breathe. And she does.