A Plan

My knees buckle as I slam down onto wet grass. I'm sprawled on the ground, my wings crumpled around me. Cold leeches into my thin nightgown, and I shiver. I didn't bother to change before leaving, but now I wish I had.

          The air coming off the lake to my right is freezing, and I shiver again ... but not from the cold. There is an ancient, eerie feeling surrounding the water. I scoot a little farther from the lake. If I weren't so desperate for a child, I wouldn't dare coming here. But Koschei, the Bone Carver's brother, is my only chance. He lives in the lake, and I intend to find him.

          Aman told me, during my third miscarriage, that Koschei can manipulate souls. He has the power to guide lost souls. I want Koschei to summon his younger brother's soul. I want to confront the Bone Carver and ask what he meant by appearing to me as a child all those years ago. Why appear to me as a beautiful miniature of Rhys? Why give me false hope if I'm not meant to have a child?! My claws tear into the grass with my rage.

          I want answers and Koschei can make it happen. Right now, though, I'm surrounded by darkness, and the lake next to me is frozen over. If I want to get to Koschei, it'll have to wait till morning. I sigh and curl my wings around me for warmth. It's still a struggle to control the fire powers High Lord Beron gave me, but I manage to light a tiny fire.

          After warming my hands, I lie back on the grass and try to fall asleep. But I can't. The night sky reminds me of Rhys. Even now, after I've failed him so terribly, he still watches over me. I bet he's out looking for me right now, along with all the rest of our family. Only, they won't find me. I am all alone. It's with this thought that I cry myself to sleep.