chapter 4

The present

Caiah layed her head on the desk in her class , strugglin' to stay awake. She was so deep in mind numbing sleep the ringing of the bell went unheard to her. Mrs.Wagner had made the announcement to dismiss the class and after glancing up, she noticed everyone has left once again leaving g Caiah

Removing herself from the rolling chair , the teacher made her way to the sleeping student " Caiah ! " Mrs.Wagner said in a demanding tone.

Lifting her head from the small table , Caiah opened her eyes allowing them to adjust to the light as she wiped the sleep from her eyes. She scanned the room only to realize that the class had been dismissed " Fuck ! Now I got to hear this lady mouth about the same shit " she thought salty, as she quickly gathered her belongings from underneath the desk.  " Somebody could of woke me up " . but she knew her classmates would want to see her in trouble than to nudge her arm letting her know the bell rung.

For the last several months Caiah had been attending college for Music. Balancing classes & her side hustle was becoming hard for her. But Rapping & Acting was all Caiah talked about & there was no doubt she was one of the best at the school, so she was determined to make it work. Some of the students were were jealous of Caiah undeniable talent.

The combination of what she learned from attending Central Visual Performing Arts Highschool , & The Fire that that burned inside of her from living a hard life , made her a natural star when she performed.

" Caiah we have had this talk to many times & the sleepin' must stop. We just began our second semester , & you are already starting off wrong." Mrs.Wagner readjusted her glasses. " Now , I wanted to speak with you after class ended anyway . "

" And why Is that ? " Caiah asked annoyed

" Caiah , your really talented , you are one of the few students that owns the stage when you perform. That gives you an advantage , Ms. Brown " Mrs.Wagner stared firmly at her eyes. " But when it comes down to its time for you to write an essay , your not putting your all in it. "

" I'm sorry you Believe that Mrs.Wagner , because I do, " Caiah said speaking truthfully..

" Your first paper is due at the end of the month & turning it in late is an automatic dropped letter grade. This paper also had a major impact on your final . "

" I'll have it turned in on time Mrs. Wagner "

" Good , I'm looking forward to reading it. "

Caiah stood up & stepped around her teacher , Anxious to leave .

" Ms.Brown ? " Mrs. Wagner called out

" Yes ? " Caiah turned around

" Good luck on your performance tonight.  You'll do great " she smiled.

Part of Caiah didn't trust Ms.Wagner & thought she was Phony, but the other part thought maybe she really was on her side. Caiah felt it was best to keep her guard up.

" Thank you " she faked a smile & headed to rehearsal before her performance later that night.

Caiah , her classmates & vocalist instructor were backstage. Caiah peeked around the curtain and observed the audience coming in taking there seats. As the lights in the auditorium dimmed, Mr Pruitt sent her onstage. When the curtains retracted she got in position ready to perform her heart out Caiah was going to perform her song " Bed of lies " her voice was s gift of taking over peoples mind & soul. She captured the crowd's attention the beat dropped & she began to speak letting the lyrics flow so freely