Calling Elena (The Vampire Diaries One-Shot)

This is based off of the TV show, The Vampire Diaries, so it is a one-shot but sorry if you don't know anything and are maybe confused when you read this.

Stefan started walking out of the bar. Out of breath he stood in the parking lot, breathless as he realized something.

It was Elena's birthday.

He hasn't even called her yet. Then again he hasn't talked to her for 3 months. It was terrible what he was doing but he had no choice. Klaus was making him do this. For saving Damon, he had to become Klaus's right-hand man.

What he did in that bar a few moments ago was unbearable. He helped Klaus kill a hybrid. A vampire and werewolf... Who'd believe they would one day mix... Who'd believe that Stefan didn't mind that he did it...

He wanted t get his mind off of that. It was Elena's birthday. He knew he had to do something for the girl he loved...

Slowly taking a deep breath, he looked upward and then took his phone out. He started dialing a number...

~Elena~

Back at the Gilbert house, Elena just celebrated her 18th birthday with all of her wonderful friends. One of her best friends, Caroline, organized the whole thing and Elena couldn't help but feel like this was unimportant compared to all the problems they were facing.

Elena was exhausted. She wanted to just go up to her bed and literally die in there. Forever dead after turning 18...

"What a nice way to end your life..." thought Elena as she trudged upstairs.

She reached her room and as soon as she opened her door she saw a card on her neatly folded bed. Set near a pillow was a card. It had a picture of a teddy bear holding a rose.

Elena opened the card to see it say "Happy Birthday, Elena! Love, Jeremy!" with a little heart and laughing face at the end.

Elena giggled as she thought about Jeremy writing the card to her. It was fun, yet practical to her at the same time. Elena set her phone down on a counter and went to the bathroom to change into her casual, stay-at-home clothes. A spaghetti strap and some shorts.

As she finishes she walks out of the bathroom, smoothing her hair, and notices her phone vibrating. She picks it up and sees "Unknown Number" on the screen.

She slides the green button on her phone with her finger and answers "Hello?"

...

No response...

"Hello?"

...

There's still no response but she can still hear a slight breathing noise... Who could it...

And she suddenly realized who it was...

~Stefan~

"Stefan?"

Her voice sounded so soft... It had been so long since Stefan has heard her voice and it was like heaven to hear it once again...

He tried to say something to her but he couldn't. His mouth opened but no words ever came out. Just silence...

"Stefan... If this is you... You'll be okay..."

Just hearing her say that made Stefan start to cry. He was nowhere near her on the day of her birthday and here she is pouring her heart out to him...

"I love you, Stefan..."

Once he heard those 3 words he knew he had enough... He couldn't bear it any longer but he had to because... He didn't know if he'd ever hear her voice again...

"Hold on to that... Never let that go..."

And with those final words, Stefan and Elena both held onto their phones in their ears waiting to see who would end the call.

Stefan ended the call and put his phone back in his pocket as he mourned over Elena and how much he missed her... Needless to say, Elena was doing the same thing but she had hope...

She knew that one day when this was all over he would come back...

Back to her...