Chapter 5

Father Albus was old. Hadrian had only met him a few times in his life and always managed to forget just how ancient he was. Wrinkles littered his face and hands, or what little that his white hair didn't cover. The man could hardly contain his excitement-something that made Hadrian worry for his heart-and was practically bouncing in eagerness by the time the two made it to him.

"How lovely, how lovely! Oh, I am excited. Most everyone in town travels to London to get married. Now, if you don't mind, I've got Pastors Arthur and William here to witness your marriage." The two nodded for him to continue.

Not five minutes later and Tom had placed his ring on his left ring finger then the two were signing the certificate. Hadrian smiled when Tom kissed his cheek, wishing that it were acceptable for more.

The two walked to the carriage and got back in for the last time that day so they could make their way back to the Potter manor. Tom insisted they ride the way they had been, even though there were no longer any social laws dictating proprietary at this point. Hadrian, although annoyed he couldn't coax a single kiss from Tom, decided not to press the matter. They had their whole lives ahead of them for kissing.

His mother greeted him at the door, a sure sign that she had been eagerly awaiting his return. She caught sight of Tom behind him and her eyes narrowed when she took him by the shoulders.

"And exactly who am I supposed to be greeting? You've been hiding his identity in all your letters, I expect some answers while you're in my house young man!" Hadrian smiled, but complied before his courage could leave him.

"Mother, I'd like you to meet my husband, Tom Riddle." She smiled and turned to Tom.

"How nice to meet you. I'm so happy we could offer you a place to-your what?!" She turned back to Hadrian, the full realization of what he said hitting her. "Your husband? You're married already? I cannot believe you would rob me the opportunity to see my only child married!" Hadrian lowered his head, guilt eating him away.

"Lady Potter, it was my idea," Tom cut in. "Hadrian told me of the time sensitive nature of his situation and I didn't wish to see any chance of our happiness taken away. I do hope you won't be mad at him when it is really me you should be cross at." Lily's face softened and she gave the two a half smile.

"Hadrian, you're very lucky this man knows how to sweet talk a lady. I'm quite happy for you, darling. Now, come and see the brilliance I have managed to whip up in less than a month!" She led them into the ball room that was positively dressed to the nines in champagne coloured silk drapings and bunches of dried roses with champagne ribbons tied to every beam and bannister. The floor had been waxed recently and the chandelier was glittering above them.

"You'd never believe it but your father decided he wanted all of this to be in the most atrocious shade of green. Really, it was bright enough to blind you! Kept saying it was to match your eyes but he really is a fool if he thinks your eyes are that abhorrent. I rather thought this colour would really set off the tone for romance and class. What do you think?"

"It's beautiful, Mother. You've done a wonderful job, I'm always amazed at how good you are with this sort of thing-and with such short notice, as well." She waved her hand nonchalantly.

"All in a day's work, dear!" She smiled at him and excused herself when she heard another carriage coming up the way.

The ball started off without a hitch. Hadrian did his best to mingle with everyone, graciously accepting birthday wishes and managing not to go completely insane. From what he could tell, his mother was doing quite a good job at keeping Tom hidden away from the guests; he assumed she had sequestered him away in one of the side rooms and away from prying eyes. He hadn't seen his father anywhere.