so capricious.

When plans change at the last minute and a date gets cancelled, Matty has a very specific form of payback in mind.

mature content. 2224 words.

'Kara, it's really not a good night, are you sure you can't ask Dylan to step up?'

'It's an emergency. You know I wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate, and you know the Puccini back to front. Please?'

Holding the phone away from my ear, I groan, hoping she won't hear it too loudly. 'Alright.'

'You're a star.'

With a click, Kara hangs up, and I know what my next call will be. I hate bailing on people, and I'm still not even sure what Matty and I are to each other, so it's a slightly risky move. That conversation will have to come up at some point, and I don't want to look like the non-committal one. I find his contact, and dial.

'Everything alright?'

My heart swells at hearing his voice. 'Well... that's debatable. I'm not going to be able to make it tonight, the principal cellist has sprained her wrist so understudy duties call.'

'Bloody hell. Bit cheeky of her, isn't it? Haven't you just done a matinee?'

'I know, it's a pain in the arse. I'm so sorry.'

'Don't apologise, I'm only kidding. It can't be helped. You know...' he pauses, and my anxiety rises, envisioning his annoyance. But when he speaks again, he sounds playful. 'You could still come over a bit later. Much as I'd like to wine and dine you, I'm not going anywhere else, so once your performance finishes we could still hang out.'

I sit up a bit straighter on the sofa, even his euphemism faintly thrilling me. 'Oh god, I'd really like that. It's been too long, hasn't it?'

'Mm, two weeks... in fact, I think you owe me.' He's teasing me now.

'Of course,' I say quickly. 'Whatever you like.'

'Whatever I like?' He falters slightly. I can just imagine his face on the other end of the call - eyes wide, chewing his lip.

'Yes,' I reply smugly, dropping my voice suggestively. 'I can be yours for the night... if that's what you'd like?'

'We already do everything I like.'

'Then pick your favourite.' I say, hanging up before he tries to negotiate any further. Let his imagination run wild, for a bit. It's symbiotic, of course - I can feel my cheeks flushing, and it'll be a good reward for graciously sacrificing the evening out.

***

I don't go home from the Royal Opera House, instead grabbing a taxi. Matty's place is a half-hour drive away, so by the time I reach his, it's gone midnight.

'You must be exhausted.' He presses a kiss to my cheek as he greets me at the door, before stepping back to let me in. He's relatively dressed down, as I'd expected; barefoot in one of the old pairs of faded black jeans and a misshapen hoodie. I'm quite envious of his comfort, feeling the waistband of my tights digging uncomfortably into my stomach. 'I've missed you, you know.'

'Me too.' I let my gaze linger on his, dumping my bag onto the nearest chair. 'Have you made up your mind yet?'

'Oh!' His expression changes in an instant, suddenly hilariously gleeful. 'I was just looking forward to tonight generally. But just, um... just do what I say, yeah?'