Chapter 3: the mistake

"What about you? Prove you're peculiar." I cursed, knowing that I wouldn't be able to take the medicine to hide them again, but I wanted to show this girl my ability. I made them reappear, and it was like peeling a melon. The weight was suddenly lifted, and I sighed in relief. She gasped in surprise.

"You-you-you have wings?!"

"Why is that such a surprise? You control bugs!" I said, exasperated.

"Yeah well, you can fly!" She countered.

"Oh come off it. Can you help me get this back on?" She nodded, and I tried to get my wings back in so I could shrink them properly. Just as we were doing that, we heard a cold voice say,

"Leaving so soon?" And a shiver went down my spine.

"What the hell? Who are you!" The girl said, waving her hands in front of her. A dark figure emerged from the shadows.

"My name is Payer. Sorry I startled you." His voice was soft, almost hypnotic. I narrowed my eyes, and he smiled, drawing back his hood. It revealed a scarred bald head, and one eye looked like it had been clawed by some sort of vicious beast.

"What do you want?" I asked him slowly, making sure to reach behind me, to clench my pocket knife.

"I want you. Peculiars." We both gasped. "Don't act so surprised, I know you're peculiar. Just look at your wings." His eyes drifted to my wings, but not before they rested on my half open blouse. I shifted my weight uncomfortably.

"Who are you?" He rolled his eyes, bored.

"I just told you. My name is Payer." I stole a glance at the girl, and her fists were clenched. "Anyway, you have two options. One, you come quietly and no one gets hurt or two, you don't, and I tell everyone in the village that you are witches and you are to be burned at the stake, la dee daa." His hands waved as he talked, emphasising his words. He looked very gay to me.

"Well there ain't no bloody way I'm going with you." the girl said. I almost swore. If I went quietly, Miss Cuckoo and all my friends would be okay.

"Well I am." I said, to which the girl spun round, outraged.

"What are you doing?! I'm not just about to give up to some random man!" I shook my head.

"He isn't some random man. He's a wight." The man grinned.

"You catch on fast." He stepped towards me, and produced handcuffs, raising an eyebrow. I flicked my eyes to the girl, and whispered,

"Run." She caught my drift. She bolted out of the scene, but the man didn't care. He didn't want her. He wanted me. I offered my hands to him, and he put the handcuffs on, screwing them tightly. I winced in pain, then he placed a single finger onto them, and they began to heat up. I gasped, saying, "ow, that hurts." He simply smiled again. "Hey, that hurts!" He dragged me forwards, his whole hand on the cuff. It began to burn me. "Ow! Make it stop! Ow!" He ignored me. A horrible pain shot up my arm and I fell to my knees.

"Get up." He growled. I did as I was told. He turned several corners in the maze of alleyways, and finally came to a stop at a horse and cart. He threw me in, and my head took all the impact. I blacked out.