Part 1-Bound

21 years ago:

"Rayla this is unacceptable!"

Her shock was immeasurable. Years later and this is the reaction that stuck her to deep, like a harpoon into her chest. they had missed her growing up, They had missed every day she sat training, every time she ran away sobbing, begging them to come home, but still holding her head up high for their honor. They had missed all those years she spent, making them proud, giving up everything she had for their name. She had almost died, fulfilling a duty that they had started. 

And still, all they saw were her crimes.

"What do you mean this is unacceptable! Callum has done nothing wrong, I have done nothing wrong! Callum has given everything to bring peace, to accomplish what you gave your lives for, what you had to give up me for, and you can't look past that he's a human! He did everything to bring you back-"

"You arrogant child-"

"Everything! " Rayla yelled "He was sick for days because of you, because he loves me, He loves me more than you-you"

It was unimaginable, she had understood all these years, so why was she still hurt, why did she feel the need to cut them with her words, were her words even the truth?

"More than you ever did."

Nine years without them, and she had already disgraced them, disgraced herself.

No wonder she was banished. 

She was everything her family hated. 

Before she could be torn up anymore, she grabbed Callum's hand and rushed him into the woods, searching for somewhere no one would look for her.

but she didn't think they'd look at all.

Three weeks earlier

Callum clutched Rayla so close she could hardly breathe. The crisp air inside and around them added to the horrifying pump of adrenaline. 

He had jumped. He had jumped for her. 

It didn't make sense, she was supposed to give her life for others, for righteous causes.

People didn't give their lives for her.

But of course, Callum did. He was so good, kind, and strikingly brave. This was a new love, one Rayla didn't understand, a love where she was the most precious thing in his life.

And Rayla started crying.

Though she had been crying a lot over the past few days, this felt different. Her previous tears had been mellow, gray tears that leaked a sadness.

But this was so violent. It shook her like a viper she couldn't get out of her body and wouldn't stop biting her. Her screams were so high, this was the realize of something different, something other than the depression  of the years.

And she didn't understand it.

This was the cause.

She had never known anything like this, she had always been so used to improving, doing everything to be better, so that finally she can be at peace. So that she could feel like enough for the people she loved. 

Rayla had never felt loved.

But now as Callum squeezed her tighter, she realized she had never loved herself either.

That searing hate was ripping her skin apart.

"Rayla it's okay its okay, your safe." he looked into her eyes. "I'm always gonna protect you." He kissed her forehead and frantically kissed her eyes and cheeks, he held her head to his. "it's okay."