2

"Anak, mag-palit ka ng damit bago kumain," Justin's mother instructed right when he entered the house. Still staying silent, Justin nodded and headed upstairs. His mother sighed and looked at her father, who just gave her a reassuring smile.

Justin had always been silent ever since the accident. It's been five years and his mother had yearned for nothing other than to hear her son's voice and for him to finally move on from what happened.

"Hindi ko na alam ang gagawin ko sa kaniya," she huffed. Her hands held the porcelain plates, fixing the table to display her son's favorite foods.

"The boy needs time, Janina." Justin's grandfather reminded her.

Janina de Dios nodded and stared at the table. She had prepared all of Justin's favorites today.

Her only mistake was that she forget—it was Julian's favorites too.

~

"Pwede tayong mag-punta sa mall at mag-shopping," Janina beamed, trying to suggest ways on how to celebrate Justin's upcoming birthday.

"Pwede ring pumu—"

"Mama,"

Janina fell silent once she was interrupted by that voice. It was so soft and hoarse, considering how it wasn't used for a long time. To her, it didn't matter how rough it was. Heck, it could curse her out and she would still leap with joy.

"Y-Yes anak?" she tried to calm down, slowly reminding herself that acting crazy would scare Justin out.

"Pwede po ba nating bisitahin si Kuya?" Justin asked before shoving his fork in his mouth.

"Oo naman, pwedeng-pwede," Janina answered. Justin gave her a small smile and went back to eating. She glanced at her father who just winked at her. The three of them finished their lunch quickly. Janina was the first one to stand and rush back to her room.

Once she was sure that the door was locked, she sank on her bed and let out the cry that she has been keeping in for the past five years.

"He's back, Jace. Nagsasalita na ulit si Justin. Nagsasalita na ulit ang anak ko," she sobbed as she hugged the picture frame that contained her husband's photo.