o n e

"I have no one to go to for Christmas this year?" Here I am, sitting in my friends' room, hearing that I'm not going to be able to see her for the holidays because she's seeing far-away family.

"I'm sorry. Since my dad and mom split, my dad tried to get closer with his family again. he's worried if he doesn't, we won't have a place to go if we lose the house."

"Can't I go with you guys? They're going to need me too. I live with you guys at this point."

"Jules, we tried to ask for you to come. They're just not ready yet." She says as she puts the last piece of clothing in her bag.

"What am I going to do without you guys here? It's not like I can pick up a family off the road."

"I know, Jules. We'll try to be back before New Years. We won't leave you for very long."

"Not long? Christmas is in 25 days!" I said, exasperating. She chuckled and sat in front of me.

"We'll be back. We need you to hold the fort down. If you want, you can stay with one of your co-workers." She said, trying to reason with me.

"I don't want to intrude on them. I'll drink hot cocoa here with my girlie." I said, patting Teddy, their dog, on his head.

"You won't. Jules, it's not your fault that you don't have anyone to turn to for Holidays." She said. But it is. If I had just picked up the phone to my Mom, she'd still be around.

"Sure. Go, you're going to be late, and he's going to leave without you." I say, pushing her out the door. She sighs, and we both got up. As we were walking and grabbing her stuff, her Dad honked the horn. We both laughed and scurried out the door.

"Told ya," I say as we went downstairs. In the doorway is her Dad.

"Hey, guys. You have everything, Lany?" He asks, starting to grab stuff out of her hand.

"I think so. Are you positive we can't bring Jules, though?" She asks, looking back at me. He sighs while looking down.

I know what she's doing. I'm not hurt that they're leaving me behind. I'm not mad either. I wish I had my own family to go to.

"I asked many times, and every time they turned me down. I'm sorry, Jules. We'll figure something out for us." He said, walking over to me and engulfed me in a hug.

"It's ok, guys. I'll make myself busy. You guys enjoy your Holiday." I said, forcing a smile. They both knew I was lying, but nobody questioned it.

"Ok, we need to get going then. Try and beat the storm." He says.

We all grabbed something and loaded it into the car. Once everything was in, I closed the door, and they got in.

"Just call or text me telling me you guys made it," I said through the window.

"I have you on speed dial," Lany says. I smiled and walked back to the porch and watched them drive out of the driveway. As they were driving forward, I waved them goodbye, and they did the same.

I sighed and headed back inside, seeing Teddy waiting at the door.

"It's just you and me, Bud." I looked around the house, not being used to it being so quiet. I checked the time on my phone and saw that I had to work in less than an hour.

"Shit." I rushed upstairs to get my stuff ready. I rustled around the room, trying to find my work clothes.

"Where the fuck are they!" I hollered. I huffed and went to call my manager.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's me, Jules. I'm going to be late. I was helping Lany leave to go to her families, and now I can't find my clothes." I said, being very distraught.

"It's ok. Do you know when you'll be in?" She asks.

"I don't know I've got to find- Found it! I'll be there in like 20 minutes." I said while picking up my shirt from the drying machine.

"Ok, see you then." I heard her chuckle, and we both hung up. I quickly put on everything and put my hair up in a ponytail.

I ran downstairs and looked around the house for my keys. Just as I thought I lost them too, I found them on the kitchen counter.

"Ok, Bud, I'll be back before your dinner. Don't do anything I wouldn't do and be a good boy." I said, petting the dog as I was heading out the door.

I went straight to my car while putting on my jacket and instantly turned on the heater. I backed out of the driveway and headed off to work in a hurry so I'm not as late as I could be.