Chapter 3- "Wah...kya dialogue mara hain..."😂😂😂

Ha..ha...😂😂jokes apart but we can't avoid the truth that good and intriguing dialogue can make a story and the situation hundred times engaging. However, most of the writers think that writing good dialogue is the toughest part of a story. Surprisingly in my case, it works in the opposite. I always feel comfortable in writing dialogues rather than describing a situation or circumstance. Initially, it came naturally to me. However, gradually I read more about it to how to improve my dialogue writing skills and I came to know about some tips regarding this. Some dos and don'ts too which we should follow to make your dialogue writing skill more upscaled. First, I am going to discuss some tips which you can follow.

Tips:

👉 Use more native, vernacular and colloquial language in your dialogue. For ex:

Robert: "I need to go the bed" (Normal/Formal)

Robert: " I need to crash." (Native)

Anjali: " What is the total sum? (Normal)

Anjali: "How much does it come to?" (Colloquial)

👉 Use contraction in dialogue. It sounds more natural. For ex:

Gotta=Got to

Gonna= Going to

Wanna= Want to

Cuppa= Cup of

Dunno= Don't know

Lemme= Let me.....etc.

👉If your story is funny or the character is funny then use as many as sarcastic dialogues. Sarcasm creates humour as well as it makes your dialogue more stylish.

👉You can use idioms to make them rich.

👉 Dialogues become more interesting when the characters say 'No' to each other. Now it's up to you how you make that 'No' justified for the speaker and unjustified for the listener. But trust me it gives the extra spice to the situation.

👉 Let your characters sometimes conceal or avoid instead of saying exactly what they mean. It will add drama in the plot.

👉 Avoid using too complicated and heavy words in dialogue. It lessens the organic flow of the chat.

👉Dialogue should add to the reader's present knowledge.

👉 It should eliminate the routine exchange or ordinary conversation.

👉 It should show the relationship between the characters.

Now some quick Dos and Don't in writing dialogues:

Dos:

👍 Do use commas before closing speech with dialogue tags. If possible, write the dialogue in bold so that it becomes easier for the reader to distinguish. For ex:

Mr Foy said, "This business deal will be a boon to my dying reputation as a business tycoon."

👍Keep exposition out of the dialogue.

👍Fill the situation with a short description of the characters' relevant gestures regarding their feeling because continuous dialogue can make the plot monotonous.

👍 Cut to the chase. Don't use the dialogues that don't move the story forward and reveal the character.

👍Use action rather than a modifier to show how the character is feeling.

👍Lastly, dialogue depends on the plot and the character's nature. So, focus on that. It should be organic rather than forced.

Don't:

👎Don't use lengthy dialogue. Maximum four lines are preferable unless and until you have a good reason to stretch it.

👎Don't let your characters be too articulate. Fragments are fine and more preferable.

👎 Don't force the conversation to follow a logical order like a question followed by an answer. No need to stay on the same subject or include a clear transition from one subject to another.

👎Don't mix up the dialogues with description by using the same font or avoiding parenthesis. It's can be confusing.

👎It's ok to use slangs until it's comprehensible. Readers don't like to stumble all the time on a page.

👎 Last but not the least; don't forget to use the right punctuation in between the lines. Without them, it will be difficult for readers to understand the mood and the tone of the character.

I hope these tips will be beneficial for your dialogue writing skill. Do let me know if you also have some tricks to enhance this expertise. Till then keep writing and make your readers hooked to your theatrical dialogues.

Love❤❤❤

Suk

Author's note: The next chapter will cover some tips and my opinion on cover designing. Stay tuned.👍