Part 2

Warned by Rohit, hence already on his guard, Virat noted how Jassi and Hardik ignored each other during the quarantine period and the practice sessions.

Hardik, in a fully indignant mode by now, placed himself between Rahul and Mayank the very first day they started practice in Australia.

"What've you come here for?" asked Rahul.

"Try and stop me," challenged Hardik. "Mayank doesn't mind me, do you, Mayu?"

"Not unless you call me Mayu," said Mayank warmly. "And so long as you help me teach this zen guy to smile a little."

"Deal," said Hardik, grinning and shaking Mayank's hand.

Rahul noted their twinkling eyes in grim silence, feeling in his bones that he would be at the receiving end of a lot of combined pranks henceforth.

The wise thing would be to disown both of them, but where would he be without the two of them?

*********

"Can you believe him?" said Rahul over dinner the day of the first ODI, after Maxwell had well and truly defeated Team India. "If he had played just one single day we might've qualified—"

"In place of us, you're thinking, no doubt," teased Virat. "Well, Moi, if Maxi played one day during IPL, then so should've Finchy, so we would still have been 2 points ahead of you."

Rahul immediately turned into Scowliya.

"And we would still have won," put in Hardik smugly. "There are all sorts of weirdos in the world, K—"

Jassi came along at that point and slipped into the seat beside Virat.

"There are some who play awful all IPL and return to form for their country. Then there are people who play well all IPL and drop their form for the country..."

"Shut up, Harry, let us eat in peace," said Mayank. "Please."

Virat saw Jassi's face going white and suddenly wondered with a chill if Hardik had truly meant the comment for Jassi. Because that would not be like Hardik at all—Hardik did not do cruel. Ever.

Rahul changed the topic to something random and everyone tried their best to support him along with it. Hardik also accepted the topic change quite cheerfully, making Virat hope that he hadn't meant anything by it, after all.

Jassi, however, certainly didn't think so, judging by his expression and silence.

*********

It continued that way all through the tour, and Virat had no clue what he could do to mend Hardik and Jassi's relation which appeared to have broken with no reason at all, a fact that Rohit confirmed.

Something must have happened which neither of them were aware of, thought Virat grimly, but both the kids resolutely shut him out.

Hardik persisted in going everywhere with Rahul and Mayank with apparently increasing enjoyment, and Jassi kept progressively retreating into his own shell, not taking part in any social activities and moping around in his room.

During midnight of 5th-6th December, as the team was gearing up excitedly for the birthday celebration of three of their members, Virat and Hardik probably being the most excited of all, something happened that made all his excitement disappear.

Hardik was the first one to hug Shreyas and Jaddu and yell in their ears such that Shreyas batted him away in agony and Jaddu started roaring with laughter. And, under the astonished gazes of the entire team, Hardik refused to even say a single 'happy birthday' to Jassi.

From his demeanor you'd think Jassi had noticed nothing amiss, but of course when the three of them cut their identical cakes and fed everyone, Jassi was keenly aware of Hardik cold-shouldering him in front if everyone.

Virat could see in Jassi's face that he was miserable, and in Harry's face that he was not. Or maybe he was, and was hiding it well.

That was when Virat decided that he had had enough. Now it was time for the captain to act.

********

"Shreya!"

"What have I told you about calling me 'Shreya'?" said Shreyas. "Especially when you're coming to call on me at 4 in the morning."

Virat glanced at the clock and did a double take when he saw the time. Had he been lying awake, worried about the kids?

"God, I had no idea it was so late!"

"I believe you."

"By the way why are you awake so late?" said Virat, smirking. "Talking to someone special in the early hours of your birthday, are you?"

Shreyas hoped his face wasn't as red as it felt as he shoved away his phone and said, "Do you have anything particular to tell me?"

"Yes, something that's bothering me very much," said Virat, sitting down wearily.

Shreyas suddenly felt unaccountably proud as he waited for his captain (and idol) to speak.

"Jassi and Harry are being idiots, and I need to do something—anything—to make them ok," said Virat.

"Yeah, I noticed," said Shreyas. "Yuzi and I were talking about it...they must've had some stupid fight, and I'm sure you don't have to do anything, Virat bhaiya."

"It's been going on since the beginning of the IPL."

"Oh," said Shreyas, disconcerted. "That's a long time."

"So..." said Virat.

"We're not locking them inside a room like you did last time they had a fight," said Shreyas.

Virat's eyes lit up at once.

"I had completely forgotten about that, Shreya! Thanks for reminding me, birthday boy," and Virat gave Shreyas a hug that made his protests die down, except a half-hearted, "It's a stupid idea, and you're going for it once again..."

"But it worked then, right?" said Virat.

"Yes," Shreyas had to admit.

"It'll work again," said Virat confidently. "Go to sleep now, Shreya, you can chat with your special friend later."

"I have no special friend—and don't call me Shreya."

Virat laughed and slipped out of the room with a spring to his step.

A/N: Please vote and comment...last part coming soon.