Part 3

When the team was returning to the dressing room after losing the third T20 (but winning the series) neither Jassi nor Hardik realized when Virat slammed the door shut and locked it from outside.

"Listen, you pair of idiots," he shouted menacingly. "Sort it all out or stay inside forever."

"What?" said Jassi in confusion.

Hardik had caught on to Virat's plan, however.

"Let us out, Virat!" he howled.

"No," said Virat. "I'm not letting you out even to collect your Man of the Series trophy if you two don't make up; I'll tell them to give it to Nattu."

Jassi and Hardik looked at each other, stumped.

"Maybe we can pretend to make up so that he lets you collect the MoS," suggested Jassi.

"You'll do that for me?" said Hardik gratefully. "Thanks, Jassi!"

"Yeah, well," said Jassi, not looking at Hardik, and feeling quite miserable once again. "You're welcome."

"Remind me once again why you're ignoring me?" said Hardik. "I promise we'll go back to ignoring each other once you clarify."

"I wasn't the one ignoring you," said Jassi angrily.

"Sure," said Hardik, crossing his arms.

"You're the one hanging around with Rahul and Mayank all the time," said Jassi, not untruthfully.

"You're the one who started ignoring me during IPL," said Hardik, getting angry himself.

Jassi recollected that he was.

"You're the one who couldn't bother to tell me about your injury," said Jassi.

"What injury?" said Hardik blankly.

"You're stupid back injury, the reason you're not bowling!"

"I didn't tell you about that?" asked Hardik, frowning.

"No you didn't," retorted Jassi. "You didn't, so don't try to convince me you did."

"Oh," said Hardik, adding apologetically, "I must've forgotten. There were so many people to inform, Virat, Rohit, Rahul..."

"Right," said Jassi, wishing he could fly at Hardik and shake him hard. "Now d'you want to pretend to be friends again so Virat lets you out?"

"Yeah," said Hardik, considerably dampened at the interruption. "Come on, then." He offered his arm to Jassi, who hesitated a moment before grasping it.

They'd need to convince Virat bhaiya, after all, reasoned Jassi in his mind.

*********

Shreyas was relieved and Virat gratified when they heard Hardik calling from inside, "We've made up, Virat, now let us out!"

He unlocked the door and there stood Hardik, wearing a big grin and Jassi holding Hardik's forearm.

"Good," said Virat smugly. "Aren't I a great peacemaker, Shreya?" he asked happily.

"The greatest," muttered Shreyas. "They're calling you, Hardik, go!"

Jassi let Hardik's arm go with pretend (or pretended pretend) reluctance as the latter went to collect the MoS trophy and give his gracious, grown up speech.

Jassi listened to it wistfully, because it felt like he hardly knew his mature guy at all. What had happened to his Hardik?

In an even more gracious gesture, Hardik gave his trophy away to Nattu, who he claimed deserved it, and sent a smirk at Virat—reminding him of his threat ten minutes ago. Virat shook his head, trying not to grin.