Chapter One - My Colleague Masaru

I don't even know why I let Elena talk me into it. Actually, I don't even know why Elena used to talk to me. She was my supervisor, she could have just ordered me to do it, and there was nothing I could do about it. But she just wasn't like that. She was very kind to everyone. And she really liked me. In an unguarded moment at the Christmas party, she told me that she thought of me as her deputy, and that she was incredibly happy that they got me into R6.

I wasn't so sure about that. I've had a few successes, and I've done everything I can to make those accomplishments more, but I doubted every compliment from Elena. It wasn't her fault. Too many people have said I'm too self-critical.

However, it was a hot summer afternoon and I was heading to the airport in not air conditioned car to pick up one of my colleagues. His name was Masaru, and we've been working together on various projects since I started. He was currently returning from a two-month mission from Mexico.

I was waiting at the airport with this sign with his name on it. It seemed like a good idea. He had a similar sense of humor to me, so I was almost sure he'd appreciate my joke.

I saw him almost immediately and raised my sign high above my head. I hit it. As soon as he saw it, he started smiling.

"That's the best welcome I've ever had," he laughed.

"I'm glad. On the other side is my attempt to write your name in Japanese." I turned the sign around to see my neat Japanese writing. "I did it according to Google Translate. Am I at least close?"

"Um... No. Not even close."

"Well, nothing." I put the sign in my armpits and got a little nervous. "I don't know how to behave," I confessed.

"Neither do I." He looked around as if he were looking for someone. "How about this?"

He approached me, bent down and kissed me.

Maybe I forgot to mention that he and I... Well, let's say we had a physical relationship. It wasn't a big crush; it wasn't classical romance. We just had a few sleeps together.

I had to admit, it suited me so well.

I had a couple of guys before him. As long as I was dating them, I thought they were solid, almost lasting relationships, but it always turned out the same way. I ended up alone, dumped and, at worst, cheated. I promised myself I'd keep my heart close, and I'll never let anyone do this to me again.

Unfortunately, like most human beings, I had my needs. Needs I could have met on my own in private, but a few months ago, I found out that a secret sexual relationship with a colleague in the lab or in his room was much better than doing it yourself.

"So, how was the flight?" I asked as we pulled away and headed for the car together.

"Nothing special," he answered.

"Oh, and what about the mission?"

"I'd rather not talk about that, if that's okay."

"Why?" I wanted to know when we stopped at the car. "Did you meet anyone there?"

I missed that. I didn't want to ask. It wasn't my business. We clarified our position right at the beginning of our "relationship". We agreed there were no deeper feelings between us. It was just sex, that's all. We didn't ban each other from seeing anyone else. Still, I was very outraged by the thought.

"Don't tell me you're jealous?" He smirked.

"How would you feel if I told you that while you weren't here, I slept with someone else?"

"I'd feel terrible," he admitted after a moment of silence. "But I did my best with you before I left."

Before Masaru left, he gave me a present. It was a vibrator. He said that even though he knows it's not binding between us he doesn't want me sleeping with anyone else while he's gone.