Chapter Five - Something More

The following morning was still going on in the mood I had hoped my whole holiday would be. I lay by the pool, reading calmly until my mother shouted at me to help her cut the vegetables. I didn't mind that "I had to do something", but I didn't care why I had to help her.

When everything was ready, my mother sent me to change.

"It's not very appropriate for you to be here with the guests in swimsuits," she explained.

Even though I didn't want to do it, I did what she told me to do. As always, anyway.

Around 4:00 a.m., guests began to meet. Kim texted me that she was going to be here a little later, and that she was going to keep her fingers crossed for Phillip. I've decided to reject him as soon as possible, but only when it's inevitable. Just because I didn't want to date him didn't mean we couldn't be friends.

My mother invited our neighbors – Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Rodrigo, as well as the Sullivans and their twins, whom I quietly envied for playing with the ball in our pool, while I had to welcome the guests and thank them for coming.

Everyone was asking how I was, and that I looked beautiful, and that they "heard" that I had moved out. Of course they had to register that I no longer lived at home. I haven't seen any of them in over a year.

Mrs. Smith was just telling me about their last trip to France when I noticed my mother in the middle of the garden talking to someone I didn't know. I was sure it had to be Phillip. I apologized to Mrs. Smith and headed toward them. I was afraid that if I wasn't there, my mother would marry me with him right now.

"Elsie, do you remember Phillip?" my mother asked me, pushing him closer to me. "We're just thinking about how long it's been since you've seen each other."

"Yeah," Phillip said. "I said, like, five years, but your mom thinks it's longer. What do you think?"

I didn't answer immediately because I was looking closely at Phillip. His head was almost bare, but his chin was overgrown as if he hadn't shaved in years. He's been acting like a tough biker who's been sitting in the pub all day complaining about his wife, who's still home. I wasn't surprised that someone like him was divorced.

I've been thinking about how much he's changed since I liked him when I was 12.

"I brought something," Phillip interrupted the silence. "Steaks. I think you'll like it very much."

"That's very kind of you," I said, accepting the bowl he was handing me with "thanks". "But I'm more into flowers than meat."

"It's not just for you," Phillip explained to me with a care. "It's a kilo of meat. A skinny like you wouldn't eat it yourself."

"I meant more like..." I waved my hand at a failed joke. "It doesn't matter."

"Give it to me," my mother said. "I'll give it to Frank to prepare it. We're very pleased with you, Phillip. Would you like a beer?"

"Of course, I would." He looked as if it was so oblivous. "Will you bring it to me, Elsie?"

"Go get it yourself," I said immediately, and then I howl because my mother pinched me in the back.

"You have to excuse her, Phillip. She's very nervous. She was looking forward to seeing you."

"I believe that."

"Why don't you go sit down together and I'll bring you the beer?" said mother.

I turned around and headed to my seat at the big table where I had just had a chat with Mrs. Smith. Phillip was right behind me, of course. In my mind, I cursed my mother for inviteing him here. Yes, and I cursed Kim a little bit because she promised me yesterday that I wouldn't be alone with him.