14 ROSES

I remember the night when the fire ate and devoured our house down. Tim and his parents were dead, but you were there William.

You cradled me in your arms while telling me that it would be everything would be okay. That I will be fine too.

"Good boy, don't worry you're safe." You said.

You brought me out of hell. Out of that burning house.

You slowly placed me down the pavement and gave me some water to drink.

I chugged down all the water from the bottle. You pat my head while you made me drink again. Awhile then, you noticed that one of my paws was bleeding and you wrapped it in some white clothing. I can't see face your face back then because you're wearing a headgear.

I just saw those beautiful brown eyes of yours when you took your headgear off. Then you gently carried me and placed me on your lap.

"I'm William. And your name shall be Twelve." You said. "Since you're the twelfth puppy I rescued. Don't worry I'll bring you someplace beautiful."

A week then, there was a fire again. A building was destroyed to ashes. You found two other puppies and brought them to the dog shelter. That's where I am now.

"These are Thirteen and Fourteen." You told us presenting the 2 new puppies. "They're your new brothers."

That time you played with us and brought us outside to play. But I stayed down under the tree's cool shade. I could see the other pups playing with you at my spot. Then you noticed me. You gave them some toys and let them play with one another. You walked towards my direction while holding a ball. You squatted down and smiled at me.

"Twelve, let's go play fetch."

You threw the ball but I just sat there. Staring at you.

"What's wrong boy?"

I'm lonely here. I want to come home with you.

You carried me on your arms and I lit up. I licked your face and barked.

Then you decided to take me to the station with you.

You trained me to find trapped people inside a burning house. We were together, always.

Until that very incident that changed everything.

A whole street was on fire. A family was trapped inside.

We thought we already saved everyone.

"My baby is inside, please find him!" A woman clutched your arm. "Please sir my child!"

You looked at me and I stared back. You nodded and we went inside the fiery giant fire. It was scorching hot. But we still went inside. I ran up to the stairs where I heard the baby crying. You looked for some cloth and you wrapped the child inside it. We hurried down the stairs with the crying baby in our bearing.

There was a loud thundering clash. The moment I looked back, you were run over by a big wooden post. Half of your body was covered, yet you shielded the frail child with your arms. I came back running for you.

"Now Twelve, come here boy." You called out. "Come here."

You tapped the floor and I crawled. You tied the infant in the clothing and wrapped it around my belly.

"Now Twelve, I want you to bring the baby outside and come back for help."

I did.

But when I looked back everything was burned into ashes.

William where are you?

I barked and barked yet I hear no reply from you.

The other firefighters kept telling me you're already at someplace wonderful.

Isn't that what you promised me a long time ago?

How come you left us William?

Days passed and the other dogs and I were brought with you. They placed you inside the coffin. You kept sleeping the whole time in there William.

Are you tired?

Maybe.

There were people here crying for you. There was this man wearing a white robe who stood in front of you blabbering something. Then he threw some water at your coffin. After he finished talking, they closed your coffin and brought you to this field covered in grass.

They buried you William.

They threw white roses on you after they covered you with dirt.

We were given roses too William.

I was last at the line. I put it above where you were buried and sat there with you.

They called you a hero William.

They told me that heroes like you go to someplace lovely.

A beautiful human like you, deserves a delightful place to go.

And they called it Heaven William.

I'll be with you soon, William.

"Not all heroes wear capes."