Chapter two

It'd been almost eight years since the GeneCo's bloodbath of an opera. Eight years since the death of Blind Mag and Nathan Wallace. Eight years since Shilo disappeared. Graverobber hadn't given up on finding her. Every night, we would search for her while delivering zydrate to his well paying clients... But, still no luck. 

Now, Shilo hadn't completely skipped out of town... With a name change and several years of schooling, she was now Geneco's head surgeon. She had tasted the bitter sweetness of revenge, and she wanted more. Soon enough, she would have her revenge on Largo family. Even if she died in the process. And there stood our dear Shilo, an apron covering her white shit and leather pencil skit. Her eyes dancing with excitement as she cut into one of GeneCo's previous experts. 

"Hey! Marni!" Jacob, Her assistant, called from the other room. "I'm out for the night. Are you okay with locking up by yourself?" 

"Yeah," She called back, her eyes never leaving the unconscious man. "I'll be fine. Have a good night, Jacob."  Shilo hummed quietly to herself as she cut the man's still beating heart from his chest and replaced it with one of GeneCo's new synthetic organs. 

She often wondered what would have happened if she had stayed with Graves that night... Maybe she would have actually had a normal life. A life that wasn't ran with the need for revenge. But, here she was... Almost twenty-five and she had more blood on her hands than her father... But, that's another story that we'll go into later on. 

"I'll see you tomorrow, friend." She patted the man's cheek with her blood covered glove after having stitched him up. 

After shedding her apron, she grabbed her coat and locked up the building, making her way out into the cold city air. Her heels clicked audibly against the cold, hard ground as she walked down an ally way. They city had it's ups and downs... Mostly downs, nowadays. The amount of homeless people had tripled. Some just simply went broke from trying to afford the city life... Others... Well, let's just say that being a Zydrate addict was quite expensive these days. 

"Please.... I'll pay you for it next time... I-- I need it." Shilo heard the quiet pleading of an addict from the end of the ally. She could barely make out the figures in the darkness. 

"That's what you said last time, and the time before that... Either you pay now or you get cut off." The dealer's tone was harsh... "Or you could pay with something else..."

"What.... What do you mean?"

"I mean you could shut the hell up and let me fu--"

"Hey!" Shilo spoke up as she neared the duo, the girl was barely over sixteen... Shilo frowned at the girl sadly before she turned to the older man. "You won't be doing anything to her... Take this and leave her alone." She opened her purse and pulled out a decent bit of cash. "I'm sure that it covers what she owes you and a good bit more." 

The dealer didn't bother arguing with her, but simply turned on his heal and walked down the dark street, counting the money. 

Shilo turned towards the girl and gave her a small smile. "What's your name?"

"Alli..." The blonde looked up at her wither a confused expression. "Why did you pay him?"

"Would you really have let him use you for one dose of Z?"

"I... I don't know..." 

"Alli, do you have anywhere to stay?" Shi frowned when the girl shook her head. "Well, now you do." 

To be continued...